• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1838 Reeded Edge

What would you do ?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do ?

19 posts in this topic

Here is a 1838 Reeded Edge that I am debating selling off.

The coin has a dusty grey patina covering both sides causing the coin to have

no real luster. Details in hand look to be a solid Au 58.

Opinions ??

80281.jpg.08c2704c90f8600bd5638363e84eb389.jpg

80282.jpg.ff1a5fc5fedd4f8b650f97b76aced048.jpg

Donate this one to Chris so he can experiment with different dipping techniques to produce a dip that makes a coin still look original.

If I get the coin donated to me I promise to dip it. Might only be in water but i will Dip it. For those of you that think it needs to be different Dips I will try a lot of them.

Tap water, spring water, distilled water, drinking water.

I like this one. It’s replaceable if you had to sell it, but otherwise, I would keep it.

I am doing a little house cleaning but I do not need to sell this one .

I will probably keep this coin but was curious as to what others thought of it.

As a type collector, this coin doesn't particularly appeal to me. :sorry:

But, don't take me wrong, it certainly isn't a dog, either.

I'd sell it if you can get a fair price. There is nothing really outstanding about it, but it is a decent type piece. The way you worded the question, it sounds like your collector interest in it is nil.

If you don't really need it and you have needs elsewhere, I would sell. You could replace it with a really decent LECBHD. I have seen better examples of this date appear a couple of times a year, so it is replaceable.

I have a very nice 1837 Au 58 Reeded Edge . This is the only other Reeded Edge coin I have. I like the reverse of this coin, I am not crazy about the observe.

Basically I am doing some house cleaning and will sell some coins that I no longer want. I was on the fence about this one. If someone wants to make me an offer on the coin I would consider it

hm

I believe you showed this coin to me at CoinFest. If so, then I like the coin. However, if it doesn't fit your current collecting goals then it is something you should seriously think about moving for a price that is fair to you. The 1838 issue is much easier to find than either the 1837 or 1839 and is light years easier to find than the 1839-O. I do not count the 1838-O since it is a murky proof striking and do not count the 1836, which I believe has a far higher original mintage than reported and this skews its global desirability.

I believe you showed this coin to me at CoinFest. If so, then I like the coin. However, if it doesn't fit your current collecting goals then it is something you should seriously think about moving for a price that is fair to you. The 1838 issue is much easier to find than either the 1837 or 1839 and is light years easier to find than the 1839-O. I do not count the 1838-O since it is a murky proof striking and do not count the 1836, which I believe has a far higher original mintage than reported and this skews its global desirability.

You liked the originality of the coin. CAC did not certify it because John did not like the heavy Patina which blocked out the luster. I have decided to keep it until I can find a better 1838 in Au58 or MS 63. I know how difficult a properly graded MS63 is to find so Au 58 is the goal.

I also had the AU58 1837 with me that did get The CAC. That 1837 is a favorite in my collection.

Your explanation of the CAC decision is what I remember, too. The luster is definitely muted, but is still there beneath the patina and is present in what I term "mossy luster". CAC might believe that AU55 or AU53 may be more appropriate because of the reduced luster. If you hold off for an MS coin please make certain to buy one without wear instead of an AU58 in an MS63 holder.

Your explanation of the CAC decision is what I remember, too. The luster is definitely muted, but is still there beneath the patina and is present in what I term "mossy luster". CAC might believe that AU55 or AU53 may be more appropriate because of the reduced luster. If you hold off for an MS coin please make certain to buy one without wear instead of an AU58 in an MS63 holder.

If I pick up the MS 63 Reeded Edge I would only do it if the coin was pre screened by someone who can really determine if it is MS63, or I would get one that is CAC certified. You could always sell me yours . :grin:

I like the Au 58 grade , less risk and they look great.

I don't know if this will help you at all, but here is a PCGS MS-62 that is in my collection. It's good enough for me. Many of these reeded edge half dollars seem to be on the dull side.

1838HalfDolO.jpg1838HalfDolR.jpg

I'm betting that coin has much more luster and color than your pictures show there Bill. Looks to have some really nice cobalt on the reverse. I like it a lot1