• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on Value,not grade(1885 Star Morgan)

15 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Not selling(maybe buying) so,would this be more appropriate in the "marketplace" forum? Well anyway, I came across this 1885 MS 65 "Star" Morgan dollar with the Battle creek pedigree. You usually don't see Battle Creek Morgans without incredible toning and to find one with none? Anyway, As you can see,it's listed for $245.00 and I just wanted some advice as to whether it's a good price.Sorry for the pictures,that's all they had.The shop is located in another state.I used to buy from them when I lived there.

An otherwise normal 1885 Morgan in MS 65 sells for about $120-$150.Hard to say what the "star" and Battle Creek pedigree add. This coin shop has had this coin in their inventory for quite a while.Maybe a year or more. Which makes me think they might take an offer.This would be a pretty big purchase for me so I just need some input. So, tell me please what you think it's worth in dollar terms.

80251.jpg.5249d92888afbf04126010c54a52bbd6.jpg

If it normally sells for $120-$150, then I think that one would be worth maybe $130-$175. Battle Creek carries a premium for spectacularly toned coins - a plain white one will not add anything. I have no idea why that got a star - but you will get a small premium for that because its worth more points in the registry.

I certainly do not think it is worth $245 by any stretch of the imagination.

That’s is a smooth looking 65. I just picked up an MS66 NGC star SLQ that is what one would call Blast White. I am going to guess that the Star designation was given because this coins Head was what one would consider to be an “ultimate “ full head

as shown in Clines SLQ book, also the overall strike on this coin was outstanding. There is always the question of whether a coin such as the one I purchased was dipped. I won’t rule it out but I think it is just full of frosty original mint luster

Why in the world did that coin recieve a star? I'm sorry, but it looks like a run of the mill MS65 coin to me.

According to the coin shop,it "looks proof like cameo". I guess NGC gives a star for Cameo Morgans.I've seen the NGC star on one sided DMPL's too.

I made them an offer through e-mail.No response yet.

out of the holder it is a $75 coin

so for me i agree with physics-fan as to price

it is a un-special extremely common

$120 coin i really do not want to own

You guys have convinced me it's not really worth the price. Or even the $215 I offered, even if it is a PL. And if I were to buy a BattleCreek pedigree I would much rather have one of the great toners.

After all that,I decided to get this 1881 S Morgan for alot less than the 1885 STAR. I think even though its a grade lower it looks nicer(to me).I'll know better once it arrives. I can't have too many of these Frosty Morgan PL/DMPL's.

80283.jpg.2875363929de3b2d7c9446bc2458a686.jpg

80284.jpg.fb9f72f69412d03bd22beeb291ba7615.jpg

I decided to get this 1881 S Morgan for alot less than the 1885 STAR. I think even though its a grade lower it looks nicer(to me).I'll know better once it arrives. I can't have too many of these Frosty Morgan PL/DMPL's.

(thumbs u looks WAY NICER TO ME TOO AND WITH GREAT EYE APPEAL

Based on the images provided, I see no reason to pay any premium for the star or the pedigree. So I'm glad you didn't buy it. ;)

Edited to add: Clearly, this is the wrong forum for this thread, as well as one or more others that have nothing to do with questions about grades. ;)

Why in the world did that coin recieve a star? I'm sorry, but it looks like a run of the mill MS65 coin to me.

I either read or heard from someone that as part of NGC's agreement in grading the Battle Creek hoard all the coins would receive a star.

Based on the images provided, I see no reason to pay any premium for the star or the pedigree. So I'm glad you didn't buy it. ;)

Edited to add: Clearly, this is the wrong forum for this thread, as well as one or more others that have nothing to do with questions about grades. ;)

Wasn't sure where to put it.

Wasn't sure where to put it.

Numismatic Tangents forum? U.S. Coins forum?