• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan Dollar

9 posts in this topic

Something doesn't quite look right on the reverse (the wreath area & the mint mark)

I would say counterfeit , but better pics would definitely help determine it's authenticity

It has that cast look and the outline of Morgan's face looks a bit off, the cheek looks really strange etc....

Edited: Here is one from the Heritage archive in a similar grade:

Heritage Coin

1897O.jpg

OP Coin

f_23865356917m_098483b.jpg

Heritage Coin

1897R.jpg

Interesting, that is an ICG slab variety that I have never seen before. I'd like to see some others of that variety but at the moment I would suspect the authenticity of the slab. In fact I would almost certainly say the slab is a fake.

I take it back, after doing some searching I have found several more of all different coins and values so it probably is real. this must be something released since the ANACS/ICG shake up.

Interesting, that is an ICG slab variety that I have never seen before. I'd like to see some others of that variety but at the moment I would suspect the authenticity of the slab. In fact I would almost certainly say the slab is a fake.

It was sold by Heritage, if the slab is fake is the comparison coin I put up also a fake? Might be worth noting this to Heritage.

I take it back, after doing some searching I have found several more of all different coins and values so it probably is real. this must be something released since the ANACS/ICG shake up.

Mike, that is a new slab format that ICG is using. I've cataloged a number of them lately.