• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doolys been digging again

16 posts in this topic

Hi all :D I know this is not a lot to do with coins and stuff but you all liked my last bottle digging post..

yes you guessed it , it was to hot to go out detecting yesterday so i thought i would head of to the woods and Finnish the Hock tip ..well that was the plan but the tip has turned out to be bigger than i looked .. and got a little deeper :)

After the phone call to the farmer everything was set, new batteries for the camera plenty of sun block, pop and my loppers .. when i arrived at the site i could hardly find it as there had been so much growth .

100_1060.jpg

100_1061.jpg

Finally found the tree i was looking for :D

100_1062.jpg

It was amazing to see all the glass and pottery after the rain had washed all the mud off since my last dig .. god this little tip is full of stuff

100_1063.jpg

100_1064.jpg

I must remember to cover it over better next time so i do not upset the farmer :huh:

100_1065.jpg

100_1070.jpg

well now back to the action .. i cleared back the branches and scraped back the area for excavation

100_1071.jpg

100_1072.jpg

how that for a seam

100_1073.jpg

NEXT POST THE DIGGING

Hi again would you like to see how the dig progressed .. OK then

Well it was straight into bottles this time and a nice seam

100_1076.jpg

The first full bottle got my hart racing as I saw it was a embossed chemist bottle (local) my head said .. shame it was not :(

It turned out to be a "BELLAMY & WAKEFIELD / CHEMISTS / BIRMINGHAM. with tablespoons down the sides .. a nice bottle but just not local :angry:

100_1074.jpg

The bottle did clean up very well and turned out to be a light blue colour which was nice..

There were hundreds and hundreds of bits of bottles and pottery flying out and it was almost imposable to stick the fork in more than a couple of inches at a time and i had seen a lot on Hocks (as usual) and no local beers for Scotland .. and a couple of NBL's and a nice black glass Gilpins all broken and filling my hart with tears.. then like normal a little gem just rolled onto my foot ..

This beer has been one i have been after since i first started collecting many moons ago ( from farming stock you know)

100_1080.jpg

100_1079.jpg

on the base is A 692

After so many broken damaged bottles which had come out from the seam I could not believe the condition of this bottle .. it was as if the tip had given it up to me for all the pain and hartake :D

A little history on this firm:

LAMB'S BREWERY, WARKWORTH NORTHUMBERLAND

ESTABLISHED 1858

THOMAS LAMB 1864-1877

HENRY LAMB 1878-1898 (BLACK BEER KNOWN)

1899-1921 JAMES W. LAMB (3 DIFFRENT HALF PINT BLACK BEERS KNOW, 1 AMBER HALF PINT BEER KNOWN)

Well that's what i knew until this day !!!! as about 20mins later this popped out of the hole ... :o

100_1106.jpg

This is as far as i know a unrecorded Pint shouldered beer from LAMB's god i hope i can find the missing bits

On the base of this one is A 722 and has a much larger lamb on it.

100_1081.jpg

After that i thought the day could not get any more interesting BUT !!

Well here you go again..

after that i hit a little pocket of beers and even a broken codd (only the second one on the tip)

they were a NBL and a nice light green pictorial Gilpin';s Gateshead and Newcastle type (both half pinters) the little 6oz codd was a Turnbull & williamson Amble

I then dug a strange pint/wine which came out neck first and had a pictorial swingstopper of smarts of alnwick .. when the bottle came out it was unembossed ?? then i looked at the bottlem to find Smarts on the bottom .. what a strange way to make a bottle ?

100_1110.jpg

after a right pile of junk bottles the seam got thinner again and i thought the fun was over !!

100_1083.jpg

Then a change in luck

100_1095.jpg

a nice in the ash shot for you

100_1096.jpg

then out :D

100_1097.jpg

Then the hart stopper of the day

100_1084.jpg

Locals will know exactly what this is .. like i did

another shot "can you guess what it is yet

100_1085.jpg

:angry: yes broken !!!

100_1088.jpg

and some more

100_1090.jpg

and some more !!

100_1089.jpg

after that the seam ran out and i ran out of energy!

so what did i take home

100_1102.jpg

100_1101.jpg

after cleaning hear was the hall

100_1103.jpg

and when i stuck the cod back together i turns out that one of the neck bits was from a 6oz and the other bid did not fit so there were 3 greens ..

100_1108.jpg

shall i try again ? you bet ya

I've gone through the metal detecting thread and now this! Dooly, you find the coolest stuff! I'm in awe. I've got to dust off my machine and get out.

Thanks for sharing, Dooly. Your posts are the best!! Cool collection. I'll photo my bottle collection and email you some day.

Take care

Jim

Thanks for sharing, Dooly. Your posts are the best!! Cool collection. I'll photo my bottle collection and email you some day.

Take care

Jim

Sound good to me .. look forward to seeing it (thumbs u

So, what time period are some of these bottles and jars from?

Great question woody !

with it being a ashless farm tip it is not like a normal ash tip .. because you can find any age of bottle on them .. the latest bottle i found was a ponds milkglass jar which could date as late as 1940 and the oldest one was a wine bottle which was about 1860-70 (Both broken) .. the hocks are usually found on tips dating 1910-1920 so i would say that the tip is probably within this range so about 100years would my gesstamate

I'm a little slow Dooly. Whats a ashless farm tip and a normal ash tip.

Is a tip a pit?

An ashless farm tip is a interesting item as the farmers would spread the ashes on the fields because of all the pot ash and other nitrogen rich elements held in the ash .. they waste nothing in the North .. (eat your harts out you recyclers who think they invented it ) where as an normal town/village would just tip all there stuff into the ash cart and dump it on some local waste land .. the problems this causes for us diggers now is that the farmer would just chuck there waste bottles and such into a cart and dump it in a area away from the farm and land which was of no use to agriculture ..so most of the items are broken .. where as the town tips the ashes helped to protect the bottles etc and you can find most of the items in whole condition ..

i could have probably put that a bit simpler but i hope you all understood ?