• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russian 5 Kopecks Catherine the great era (1762-1796)

8 posts in this topic

I figured I would show off my small handfull of 5 Kopeck peices from the Cathrine II (the great) era of Imperial Russia. These are pretty cool, they are pretty common and are pretty reasonable in price.

Here is a good site I found with a little bit of info on these coins.

http://www.russiannumismaticsociety.org/learn5kop.htm

Here are my coins:

1763 Moscow mint

IMG_1179.jpgIMG_1180.jpg

1764 Moscow mint Struck over a 10 Kopeck from Peter III era (1761-1762)

IMG_1176.jpgIMG_1177.jpg

1766 St. Petersburg mint

IMG_1182.jpgIMG_1181.jpg

1788 St. Petersburg mint Struck over 10 Kopeck from Peter III era

IMG_1184.jpgIMG_1183.jpg

If I remember right, are these about the size of a silver dollar...maybe a bit bigger? Just the bulk of them was interesting to me. I had a couple but traded them off years ago. They are neat coins!!

About the diameter of a silver dollar but almost twice as thick. These are some serious hunks of copper. The Siberian 10 Kopecks are even bigger. I keep thinking about branching out into these 5 Kopeck pieces. Nice, big, old, copper.

My favorite Russian coins are those with the imperial coat of arms (I believe the two eagles facing each other) and the wreath from about the mid 19th century onward. Its one of the most attractive designs to me of any coin anywhere. The proofs are particularly scarce and desirable and the prices seem to have moved up a lot on the few occassions when I now see them.