• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Overview of French Colonial Madascar coinage

9 posts in this topic

I figured since World Colonial did such a great job with his South African threads, maybe we could take turns enlightening our fellow collectors about a particular series we enjoy. Here is my first contribution, looking forward to seeing y'all's!

France invaded Madagascar in 1883 in what became known as the first Franco-Hova War, and with the signing of the Treaty of Tamatave in January, 1886, the war ceased. Madagascar ceded Antsiranana (Diego Suarez) on the northern coast to France and paid a hefty fine of 10 million francs. The treaty essentially gave France control over Malagasy foreign policy, and they used this to exert increasing control over the territory. The terms and impositions of the treaty were resented by the Prime Minister Rainilaiarivony, but accepted. The monarchy was merely a figurehead for the tight control of the government exerted by the Prime Minister. The situation quickly changed when his former ally, the British, recognized a French Protectorate of Madagascar in September, 1890.

The French administration was determined to bring about a full Protectorate on the island, and thus active hostilities commenced on December 12, 1894, when the French marines took possession of Tamatave. General Duchesne and his flying column landed in Mahajanga (Majunga) and marched to the capital, Antananarivo, finally reaching the city and beginning the assault in the last week of September, 1895.

The defenders were stationed on the main road to the capital, to the south of the city. The French commander, however, circled the city and executed a feint attack on the north of the city. His main force attacked the east of the city, commanding a hillock from which he could shell the main government buildings, including the Queen's palace. Three shells were fired against the city, and the Hova army was routed. The Prime Minister's Secretary, Mark Rabibiosa, hoisted the flag of surrender and went out to meet the French. General Duchesne entered the city on October 1, and Queen Ranavalona signed the treaty which made Madagascar a full Protectorate of the French government. Madagascar was formerly annexed by the French in 1896, overseen by the first Resident General Laroche.

The Vichy government controlled Madagascar until the British occupied the island in 1942, after which the colony was governed by the Free French. The Malagasy Republic was proclaimed in 1958 within the French Community, after an uprising in 1947 killed 90,000 people. The colony gained full independence in 1960.

The coins of French Colonial Madagascar are a relatively small set of just 8 coins, in 2 distinct series. The first is the WWII coinage of Free France, minted in 1943 at the Pretoria mint. These 2 coins, a 50 centimes and a 1 franc coin, both feature a rooster on the obverse, and the Cross of Lorraine on the reverse. The Free France coinage is difficult to locate, especially in higher grades. These coins are made of bronze and generally have subdued luster, even Uncirculated coins lack the flash of some other series.

The second series features the Liberty head common to most French colonial coins of this era designed by Lucien Bazor, the Chief Engraver of the Paris mint. A 1, 2, 5, 10, and 20 franc were each minted. The lower denominations were minted on aluminum, and the 10 and 20 franc coins were made of aluminum bronze. Sometimes prooflike specimens will appear, especially of the aluminum coins. All of mine exhibit incredibly flashy luster.

I have the complete set, but did not include all of them in this post.

JPW525obverse.jpg

JPW525reverse.jpg

JPW575obverse.jpg

JPW575reverse.jpg

JPW543obverse.jpg

JPW543reverse.jpg

JPW520obverse.jpg

JPW520reverse.jpg

JPW538obverse.jpg

JPW538reverse.jpg

Don't feel bad, its about the same response I received to mine. I was slightly surprised that there wasn't a little more interest in my post on Spanish colonial pillars because I know that it is an admired issue even if that many people do not collect them, especially other than the Mexico 8R.

What I would like to know is whether you can find that copper or bronze coin in red. Finding even slightly older copper world coins in red is frequently very difficult and sometimes essentially impossible.

I'm not entirely sure if you can find the WWII issues in red. I've seen 4 or 5 pieces of each, and none of them were red. They are very difficult to findn in the first place, not to mention in high grade or anything.

That does not surprise me. I consider many red copper and bronze world issues underrated. I have not actively looked for them but I think selectively bought they should be money winners. I would say this applies to at least British colonials and Latin America.

That does not surprise me. I consider many red copper and bronze world issues underrated. I have not actively looked for them but I think selectively bought they should be money winners. I would say this applies to at least British colonials and Latin America.

I do have a couple of very nice bright red British colonial coppers from East Africa. Quite attractive pieces.

JPW534.jpg

JPW535.jpg

JPW572.jpg

While I do not have an example of the early 50Centimes or 1 Franc (KM 1-2) pieces I do have a example of the 1, 2, 5, 10 and 20 Francs (KM 3-7) coinage in my OFEC collection.

I also have 1 coin from the subsequent Malagasy Republic and a set of coins from the current(?) Republikany Madagasikara. Just missing at least 1 example from the Democratic Republic to complete the country in my working version of the OFEC concept.

I have always watched for old world copper coins in red. Definitely not easy to find.

Great thread! When can we look forward to the next one?