• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

German Thalers

5 posts in this topic

Some time back I bought these two German Thalers, What kind of info can you guys give me on these? Krause numbers? Rarity? Grade? Are they even real?

I don't know a dang thing about these other than I like the designs on them. lol

IMG_1187.jpgIMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1185.jpgIMG_1186.jpg

They sure knew how to make beautiful coin designs back then.

The first one is from Bavaria, KM # 233.2. Krause catalog value $50 in VG and $100 in fine. The dude on the front is Maximillian lll and the coin was minted in Amburg thus the A on the obverse under the bust. No mintage stats available. I'm comfortable with a VG grade on this one though the reverse seems to be sharper.

The second coin is also from Bavaria, KM 234.1 with a VG value at $15 and Fine at $25, also with Max lll. VG I think...but a squeaker. No mintage stats.

Both appear to have been cleaned in my humble, untrained opinion but have retoned. Silver content is not listed in Krause for your 2 coins, but many other types of Bavarian thalers state a silver fineness of 0.8330 and .7515 actual silver content.

Ri Al