• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3 Bust Halves

8 posts in this topic

Hey

What does everyone think of these? Have they been cleaned? What would they grade? Can you tell the variety? If you could also mention what made you decide the grade that would be great also, so I would know what to look for.

Thanks

DSC04931.jpg

DSC04932.jpg

DSC04926.jpg

DSC04927.jpg

DSC04933.jpg

DSC04934.jpg

I don't care for the look of the first one at all. It's probably genuine, but it has been cleaned at one point and naturaly retoned. At any rate the grade is VG with low eye appeal.

The second on is a VG. The third grades VF and is the best of the lot. If you are thinking of buying these, I would pass on the first two and only consider the third one. Most of these Bust haves have spent a lot of their existence in bank bags and usually grade VF to AU. A VG is a very low grade for this type of coin. My advice is that you can do better than these coins.

The '32 looks odd. the other 2 look OK.

The 32 is an O-113A

The 29 is an O-110

The 34 is a small date small letter, I think O-114

Nothing special.

Grades:

VF 20, possibly cleaned and re-toned

VG 8

VF 35

I agree with the others - the first one is a definite pass. The second one is a VG, and I would probably also pass. The third one is a nice VF, and looks pretty nice.

thanks guys, would any of these coins slab? I have never had any coins slabbed, but I am thinking about sending a few off. I know this isn't the place to ask this, but if I don't get a response I will start a new thread, if a coin is body bagged do you still get charged the grading fee? What do you think the value of these coins are especially the 1834?

If a coin is bagged, yes they will still charge you the grading fee. I don't think any of these three are worth getting slabbed. The first one will bag, and the second is definitely not worth it.

If the coin is body bagged, you are out the grading fee plus the postage both ways.

The first coin would get a body bag for sure.

The second one will grade, but why bother? The Gray Sheet price is only $60.00, and a dealer would be ecstatic if he could get that for it for reasons I will explain shortly.

The third coin will also grade, but its Gray Sheet value is only $70.00. By in large most classic coins should be worth at least $200 to rate the slab fee.

You will note that the Gray Sheet price spread between VG and VF is $60 to $70. (Fine bid is $62.) When collectors see numbers like this, they ask themselves, “Why not spend another $10 and get a much nice coin?” For that reason I don’t put much stock in the $60 bid for a Bust half dollar in VG.

These are the kind of coins that retail for Gray Sheet bid at the shows. Dealers will pay only 10 to 20 percent in back of bid for these coins so that they can sell them at bid. Not all coins are like this on the Gray Sheet, but these pieces, especially in this economy have this price structure.

It will cost you about $ 40 a coin for grading from PCGS or NGC, ANACS is a bit lower. If you are going to spend the money for grading fees you would want the coin to be worth at least a few hundred dollars and even then it can be a waste of money. Of the 3 coins the 1834 is obviously your best one.