• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion needed

13 posts in this topic

I need an opinion on a MS65 1936-D Walker I have .

Would this be considered a full thumb ??

It looks like there is good separation but I am not that familiar with this series so I need

to hear from the experts.

Thanks

M

79941.jpg.e3cfe32e1c1bad86d0e68e2e1d36fb6a.jpg

I need an opinion on a MS65 1936-D Walker I have .

Would this be considered a full thumb ??

yes...................................................

Yes, but look at her forefinger. Or should I say, look at where her forefinger is supposed to be....

If strike quality is important, the thumb is not the best pickup point.

Yes, but look at her forefinger. Or should I say, look at where her forefinger is supposed to be....

If strike quality is important, the thumb is not the best pickup point.

What are the best strike points to look for ? From what I can see this is a difficult series

when it comes to good strike. I have read some posts about people looking for a full thumb and separation from the hand and olive branch.

MarkT ----- Your coin is certainly decently struck. But, I would like to see the "whole obverse" and the "whole reverse" of the coin. The 36D coin is usually decently srtuck----most Denver issues are usually pretty nice overall from about this date till the end of the series in 1947D.

Many places to look for but I usually look for 1---Good head detail 2---Center skirt lines and how complete they are 3---Thumb and Forefinger separation as well as whether you can see the knuckle separation or not? 4---Center breast feathers on the Eagle and whether the feathers are visible running down the eagle's left leg? There is much more but those 4 are more than one needs to get a feel for the coin.

The real issue with a "high grade" Walker IMHO----is the surface area of the field right above the motto of "In God We Trust". If that area has original skin---few surface distractions--isn't full of hairlines---still has its luster---then you usually "jump for joy". Hope this helps. Bob [supertooth]

Thanks for the Info Bob. I would say mine is probably middle of the road but I dont have enough experience with this series to know . What do you think ?

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/ss297/guitarman102357/?action=view&current=1936-d-walker-pcgsms65-observe-scan.jpg

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/ss297/guitarman102357/?action=view&current=1936-d-walker-pcgsms65-reverse-scan.jpg

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/ss297/guitarman102357/?action=view&current=1936-d-pcgsms64walker-observe.jpg

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/ss297/guitarman102357/?action=view&current=1936-d-pcgsms64walker-reverse.jpg

The top two are from the scanner , bottom two from the camera.

Don’t forget to click the picture to blow it up.

What are the best strike points to look for ? From what I can see this is a difficult series

when it comes to good strike. I have read some posts about people looking for a full thumb and separation from the hand and olive branch.

In my experience, I go to the forefinger on the obverse, and the monogram on the reverse. I have never understood why "full thumb" received some air time, while "full forefinger" did not, except that maybe it had too many syllables in it lol , but it's just what works for me. And the monogram, being in relief in the reverse field, was on of the first design elements to suffer from excess polishing. Therefore, if it is deeply impressed in the coin, then you know at least that the die was relatively new and had the best chance of producing a sharply detailed coin.

Another area of concern for me is Liberty's trailing sandal (on her back foot), as it lies opposite the high-relief edge on the back of the eagle's trailing wing.

Of course, these are just places to start. The whole coin must be examined for strike, since misaligned dies or a tapered planchet could skew which areas get poorly struck.

MarkT-----First, just let me say that "NO" pictures EVER tell the exact story. But, these pictures have a lot going for them. I ALWAYS tell folks that, in hand, you can ALWAYS be much surer of your remarks.

Secondly, anybody and everybody can pick ANY coin apart if they really want to do that.

Having said that, here is what I think. Your one obverse picture shows me a "knuckle showing" and that is good. I like the reverse strike as the leg feathers show up reasonably well.

The obverse looks to have some luster and a decent head detail. Also, it looks like the sun is free of marks.

Picking on the coin----It has some clutter---which holds the grade back. Up the center skirt lines---the right breast has a tick [left breast as you look at the coin]---seems to be about 5 slight ticks in that right obverse field above the motto. A few ticks on the Eagle's feathers. In short, this clutter does detract from the coin IMHO. But, I am a believer in original skin and toning. And, I absolutely like a well struck coin. That usually translates to decent luster.

So, while the chatter does limit this coin IMHO----Its good points DO keep it in the "Gem" category of an MS65.IMHO. Those that HATE any marks---and LOVE a totally "white" coin probably will NOT particularily like this coin----as it looks to have some degree of color.

Those who put chatter further down the list of "worries"---will be more likely to FORGIVE this coin a little. I fall into this thinking.

In short, I agree with the PCGS grading on this coin. Without this chatter, I think that the coin COULD be graded a point higher. Those that HATE chatter will want to go "the other way". This is the SUBJECTIVITY of the individual graders. I think that PCGS got this one exactly right. JMHO of course. Bob [supertooth]

Clarity and separation of the fingers are important, but not the only criteria - just as with analogous situations for other series.

(However, for collectors living in NJ, Miss Liberty’s middle finger is more important than her index finger. This is known as the “Jersey Strike” or “Turnpike Greeting” coin.)

Clarity and separation of the fingers are important, but not the only criteria - just as with analogous situations for other series.

(However, for collectors living in NJ, Miss Liberty’s middle finger is more important than her index finger. This is known as the “Jersey Strike” or “Turnpike Greeting” coin.)

I thought that only applied to other passing through NJ ? :D