• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auction finds

5 posts in this topic

Hi all .. just had a local coin auction and i have started searching through them and i thought you may like to see this couple

the lots

100_1057.jpg

Nice advertising bit

tooth.jpg

and a bit of shipwreck history TREASUURE FROM THE "HOLLANDIA" SUNK 1743

ship.jpgshipr.jpg

I used to love going through "junk boxes" (or is it junque on the other side of the pond). I added many a coin to my foreign collections when I was younger looking through these boxes ...even an occasional "find".

You have to love the "CABANE'S Strawberry Toothpaste" token. I'm guessing that the coin is French but I'm probably dead wrong. Just for fun, can we see the reverse?

I see some interesting stuff in the boxes and if I can help with identification or anything, give me a hollar. Have fun with your new found treasure. Hope you find some really good things in there.

Ri AL

Hi

Yep it is countered on a 1855 BB french 5c coin the reverse is in poor condition, I also found a pears soap one on a 10C 1856 A one at the bottom of the box.

Most have been easy to ID but there is a Brazilian one which is not listed in the books i have (will do a scan soon) .. and there have been a couple of "good money" finds as well.

Why can't you get strawberry toothpaste today? Until recently all I could ever find were variations of mint. (Finally found a nice cinnamon, good flavor, not hot.) I take that back. It may not be available in most stores but I did find some on-line. Still non-mint flavors are hard to come by.

The toothpaste counterstamp is on either a French five or ten centimes piece. Can't tell the size from the photo.

Pear's soap. They still make that stuff...we like it and it is now in pump bottles. Now THAT'S been around for a while!