• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strike vs Designations such as FBL, FT, FH

2 posts in this topic

Recently I've been reading a number of posts which reference a coins "strike" in conjunction with designations such as FBL, FT, FH, etc. Some feel as though a coin does not have a "full strike" unless the coin carries said designations.

Researching brief definitions for grades in MS67 and above I find, by their very nature, these grades as having what one would consider complete strikes. Definitions like: "extremely sharp (or full)..." for MS67, "strike will be exceptionally sharp..." for MS68 and "a 99% full strike (or better)..." with regard to MS69.

I've always understood it's quite possible to have a coin with 'the best strike ever' and still not have the qualities for the above referenced designations. I further understand that usually for a coin to have the qualities for these designations it has more to do with the way the "die" was cut than the "strike". It's not impossible for a coin to grade lower numerically speaking, ie. MS65/MS66 and having a softer "strike" but still have the qualities for the designations.

Could you address the differences and/or NGC's view of this.

Thanks

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Strike can be a factor in technical grading, but it's not an important one in market grading. It is one of the lesser qualities that go into determining the certified numeric grade, though it certainly counts when determining any additional strike designation such as the ones you listed.