• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No hope for polished coin?

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I purchased a lightly polished Morgan and I'm wondering if this can be improved by conservation. Coin really doesn't have any lines or scratches, just has that fake luster look. Can anything be done? Also, will the polish prevent any "natural" toning in the future? It's a nice '93 CC so any improvement would be great!

Welcome to the forums.

Obviously, pictures will help us tell you more. But the short answer is no, once a coin has been polished there isn't really anything you can do for it.

Outside of putting it in your pocket in hopes that the polished surfaces will wear away leaving a somewhat normal circulated surface in time...possibly a lot of time....I don't know of any way of reversing the effects of polishing.

Obviously a normal circulated example handeled and left in the pocket should acquire that dark grey toning...in theory (thumbs u

The only hope is to put it in your pocket with other coins and let normal random wear work on it untill all the polished surfaces are worn away. That will probably mean a reduction of several detail grades like from XF down to the VG range.

I figured it might have to go that far because it will have to ge wear into the protected areas around the stars etc to lose the polished look there as well and you may not get that until the lower grades.

Make yourself a tool with something for rubbing on the end ? :D

Perhaps even tooled with a metal end would be better than completely worn back.. personal preference ?

Hi,

I purchased a lightly polished Morgan and I'm wondering if this can be improved by conservation. Coin really doesn't have any lines or scratches, just has that fake luster look. Can anything be done? Also, will the polish prevent any "natural" toning in the future? It's a nice '93 CC so any improvement would be great!

I would first double check that it has been polished with chemicals. I had an unusually shiney 1921 D Morgan that had obviously been worn, similar to your coin. I assumed it was chemically polished but when I took it to a PCGS + NGC dealer and he said it looked like it had been naturally polished from being in pockets. I just got started coin collecting though, there is probably an easy way to tell that I don't know about.

Secondly, if you plan on wearing off the polished surface, keep in mind you may loose a grade on your coin, resulting in a potential loss of a few hundred dollars in value. Again, I am new to coin collecting and don't know how much less cleaned coins are worth.

Besides trying to remove the polish, another option is to get the coin slabbed by ICG. From what I can seen they will put "cleanded" on the holder and will grade the details of the coin. It won't sell for as much as an uncleaned coin, but it will probably sell better than an unslabbed cleaned coin.

I found an 1857 flying eagle 1cent peice that was slabbed as cleaned but had MS-60 detail. Looks like it sold for $320 which is only $30 under redbook value of a regular MS-60 coin. Not bad at all.

http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=2720&lot=1034

Try finding other ICG cleaned coins out there and see what they are selling for.

You do understand that this thread is over four years old?

lol

I hope he listened to conder's sage advice. It'd be interesting to see pictures after 4 years as a pocket piece!