• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1910 5c coin back from NCS

11 posts in this topic

A “planchet flaw” occurs when you are filleting a fish and some of the small bones remain after you’ve removed the backbone.

A “lamentation error” is when your friend shows you an 1878 double eagle proof he just had drilled for a necklace to give the lap dancer he is dating.

....oh, sorry...misunderstood the original post....

Looks familer, were did you pick it up at?

I had posted it before and someone had a 1911 or 1912 5c with a similar error. I've had this coin for a long time--picked it out pocket change late 40s or early 50s.

The photo shows a shadow at the top( my crappy lighting) but actually the rim is really thin there and looks off center on the obverse but not on the reverse.

Pat

I once had a Mint State 1866 Shield Nickel on consignment that had a lamination as large as that one. The metal was still hanging on the coin. It was in a SEGS holder with an MS-64 grade and the lamination noted. If it had been a bit cheaper I would have purchased it because it was a prime example of the type of problems that the mint had with those coins.

I wonder that some of these coins didn't get thrown in the silver melts over time as people didn't think much of error coins back in the early 1900s.

Pat

I wonder that some of these coins didn't get thrown in the silver melts over time as people didn't think much of error coins back in the early 1900s.

Pat

Mostly because this coin isn't silver - its copper-nickel!

I wouldn't fret the disclaimer - that's a really nice error coin!

(thumbs u

and yes the coin is copper-nickel

i could never understand why they called them nickels or nicks as the coin is 25% nickel and 75% COPPER