• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Problem coin?No grade?

14 posts in this topic

Well, here we go again. I sent in this 80S Morgan to NGC for Crossover.I made sure to write ANY under min. grade. It's in a PCI gold label holder. This coin was packaged with a second batch of coins and a second invoice because my other submissions were all raw.Now I'm a little worried.The invoice with the raw coins are showing scheduled for grading while the invoice with the single coin is still listed as "received". I asked NGC by e-mail about it but there response made it clear they didn't look into it very closely. It said something to the effect that "all is well, GSA coins are handled differently". It's not GSA it's crossover. Anyway,here's pictures.Can you guy see problems? I do see some lines in the chin. Is this no grade coin?

new80sdmpl1jpg.jpg

new80sdmpl2.jpg

That's a pretty coin. I don't see why it wouldn't grade. It will take a hit for the parallel scratches on the cheek, though.

That's a pretty coin. I don't see why it wouldn't grade. It will take a hit for the parallel scratches on the cheek, though.

I agree with Vic. Looks like a nice coin. The mintmark looks strange to me, is this normal or the pic making it look like the bottom of the "s" is bunched into the middle of the "s"? Could be my eyes.

I agree with Vic. Looks like a nice coin. The mintmark looks strange to me, is this normal or the pic making it look like the bottom of the "s" is bunched into the middle of the "s"? Could be my eyes.

You know,I've no idea.I just noticed that myself.It does look weird. I don't know if I have any more pics.I'll check. Another uh oh.

Here's a close-up picture.The mintmark still looks funky,but not as weird as the other picture,right?

80S65mark.jpg

I think that is a cud on the "S"

The scratches on the cheek maybe a problem ...

GSA where did that come into play,I would make a phone call someone is confused on the coin, UNLESS its says GSA on the PCI holder. In which case there would be NO way for them to verify it, so if it does cross, I do not think the GSA would follow the coin.

Good luck

If it slides through 62PL

I can't see any reason why it won't grade, but I can't figure out why you need it to be graded. I don't see enough value here to rate certification costs.

I can't see any reason why it won't grade, but I can't figure out why you need it to be graded. I don't see enough value here to rate certification costs.

Especially when there are QUITE a few already in NGC/PCGS holders

There are a fair number of varieties in this date and mintmark with doubling of the mintmark. None of these command any great premium. Careful comparison with those noted in Van Allen and Mallis' book could give you reason to consider a VAM attibution if you do send this coin for grading. I do agree with Mike and Bill that it really may not be worth the grading fee. NGC has graded over 97,000 with over 81,000 reaching MS64 or higher. Quite a common Morgan in higher grades.

sig.jpg

There was no mention of GSA on the label.I think the responder didn't bother to check at all.

Well.it sure didn't come across onscreen like it looks in hand.These were the only pics I kept because it was a last minute decision to send it.Maybe I should have left it out like I originally intended. This is IMO a really gorgeous Proof like 80S with really nice cameo liberty and deep mirrors(not quite DMPL). I wouldn't have sent it if I thought it was less than 64 PL or better.. We'll see how badly I screwed up this time. They should be back by the 30th.I think if it hasn't moved out of received in a few days it's going to be a "no grade" because of the lines.

Well, here we go again. I sent in this 80S Morgan to NGC for Crossover.I made sure to write ANY under min. grade. It's in a PCI gold label holder. This coin was packaged with a second batch of coins and a second invoice because my other submissions were all raw.Now I'm a little worried.The invoice with the raw coins are showing scheduled for grading while the invoice with the single coin is still listed as "received". I asked NGC by e-mail about it but there response made it clear they didn't look into it very closely. It said something to the effect that "all is well, GSA coins are handled differently". It's not GSA it's crossover. Anyway,here's pictures.Can you guy see problems? I do see some lines in the chin. Is this no grade coin?

Each invoice has its own priority rating. One invoice could be in QC by now and the other still in received, it just has to do with the order they are processed in, based on the tier selected, and the type of order. I dont see any problems on this coin.

Well,this80 S Morgan is now in Quality control.Went right from received to QC. The others are in Scheduled for grading. The 21 days is up on the 29th or 30th so it won't be long.

I did find out some good news on the other submission.One coin on that one is an 1878 Morgan. Bought it as a VAM 33a raw. NGC posted today that it's a VAM 33 1878 7/4. No grade yet,but MS63 is my guess.Maybe 64 but doubtful.

Here's a link to the 1878 7/4 as NGC designated it. I do think the tailfeathers are pretty weak.So is the obverse strike,especially over the ear. Some of the other VAM features are much better,like the doubled legs and talons. And some clash marks. For what it is,I like it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=71&Number=2818222&Searchpage=12&Main=145733&Words=prudden&topic=0&Search=true#Post2818222