• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealing with a key date coin

2 posts in this topic

I have a key date coin that I want slabbed but that I think has been cleaned. I know that I can send the coin to NCS for evaluation. But I am not clear on a few details:


1. If I send the coin to NCS, do I need an NCS submitter number or can I use my NCG number (I am an ANA member and received my NGC submitter number that way)?

2. If the coin is gradable by NGC, what are the charges? NCS charges are different from NGC charges, how will the two be reconciled? For discussion, let's say the coin is either $1,200 if it is cleaned or about $6,000 if graded as AU (which I think it may be).


Thank you.


Scott :hi:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

If you are a submitter with NGC as a member of the American Numismatic Association, you will need to submit an application to become a submitter with NCS along with your first submission. If you are a submitter with NGC as a member of the Collectors' Society, then you are already established as an NCS submitter and your submitter number is the same as it is for NGC.


Any coin that is submitted for NCS Details Grade will be returned to you in an NGC holder if it does not have a surface problem. Only if the coin does have an irreversible surface problem will the coin be returned to you in an NCS holder. This is of course assuming that the coin is authentic. You will be charged the appropriate fee based on the holder your coin is housed in. You will not be charged grading fees by both companies.


Chris, NCS

Link to comment
Share on other sites