• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I want to buy some US Gold - suggestions?

24 posts in this topic

I'm looking to purchase some US Gold and for over a week now I have been kicking around the whole Pre-1933 vs. Modern issue. I'm going to allocate about $2K and was thinking of going ungraded through a top company that has not disappointed before. Should I go for something like 4 ungraded First Spouse coins directly from the Mint, 2009 BU Gold or should I run for $2.5/$5 Indians AU/MS and $2.5/$5 Liberty's AU/MS mixed dates or specific dates?

I'm sitting on a 5 free grades from NGC, so if I go with the First Spouse or the Eagles - I plan on sending them in. If I go with the BU gold - I'll keep them ungraded.

More or less I'm looking for some direction - $5 FRNs are more my thing.

Thanks!!!

Not really worth wasting extra money grading modern bullion. I here adds for such coins where there is only a slight premium over spot, so don't pay too much

From my own numismatic perspective, I would go for the older stuff, but the premiums are huge for the older coins. If you do go old, make sure everything is NGC/PCGS certified, and shop around to make sure you are getting a decent price.

If you go for MS/AU Indian $2-1/2 or $5 gold coins, buy them slabbed by a top tier service since these series are very heavily counterfeited.

If you go for MS/AU Indian $2-1/2 or $5 gold coins, buy them slabbed by a top tier service since these series are very heavily counterfeited.

I planned on going with NGC graded only or purchase ungraded from APMEX. Earlier this year I bought two $2.5's from them that turned out to be a good deal.

If you mean strictly bullion, I would probably go with foreign gold. But if you want coins with some numismatic premiums, I think incused gold in MS-62 is the best bet. Weed out lower quality coins and focus on nicer ones, and you should do well.

I guess it all depends on your motivation.

If you want to play the bullion angle, but want coins that were made to circulate, then many foreign issues (sovereign and half-sovereign size) might be the way to go as long as you know they aren't counterfeit. If you would prefer US coinage similar to the previous then Liberty eagles and half-eagles carry a smaller premium than Indian coinage of the same denomination. Alternatively, modern commemoratives and bullion pieces made specifically for investors or collectors generally carry a smaller premium. Of course, if you don't care if you have coinage you may want to buy gold scrap or electronic funds.

Personally, I find that modern commemoratives and circulated Liberty gold provide a nice assortment of pieces for my own bullion holdings.

If you just want a big hunk of gold, buy a Mexican 50-peso (about 1.2 ounces) and with the change, buy 1 or 2 modern commem half eagles for just over melt.

I guess it all depends on your motivation.

...If you would prefer US coinage similar to the previous then Liberty eagles and half-eagles carry a smaller premium than Indian coinage of the same denomination....

Personally, I find that modern commemoratives and circulated Liberty gold provide a nice assortment of pieces for my own bullion holdings.

There is a show coming to Jacksonville in three weeks, I'm thinking $5 Liberty coins and $2.5 Indians (I have three NGC AU-58's). I might be able to pick up some reasonable deals. I printed out the key dates and semi-key so I can study up.

A Carson City Double Eagle, at least some limited dates that can be had for under 2K in mid-grades, would retain every cent and grow. A very good investment and a highly collectible coin.

A Carson City Double Eagle, at least some limited dates that can be had for under 2K in mid-grades, would retain every cent and grow. A very good investment and a highly collectible coin.

I personally think Jake's suggestion is the best route to go. But if you want bullion then I think the common modern gold commemorative coins are the best route! You can get most at around melt value, there's practically no chance that they're counterfeit, they are collectable, some are very nice designs and they are very liquid. Buy raw vs. slabbed.

As a potential replacement for bullion, before I would have bought high grade AU US type gold, But I do not know what the premiums are today.

If you are going to buy modern world gold, I would only buy well known issues such as the Sovereign or something like it. I would not buy obscure issues (which is almost all of them) regardless of how "nice" they look because they are easy to buy but hard to sell except at a big proportionate discount to retail.

On the modern commemoratives, I forgot which one it is, but the First Spounse with the capped bust obverse is one sharp design. I have always wondered what one of those would have looked like if there ever had been a circulating one. With a combined mintage of about 10,000 for the business strike and proof, they are far from scarce, but the premiums are not that large and the design could prove to be a very popular one.

I took some of the advice and picked up my first $2.5 Liberty Eagle.

NGC MS 64 1907 $2.5 w/ the CAC sticker

Coin will be in route shortly and I will post pictures. I thnk this is a good start and I have $1200 to spare from my org. funds allocation.

NGC MS 64 1907 $2.5 w/ the CAC sticker

Coin will be in route shortly and I will post pictures.

Looking forward to seeing them. :)

With around $2000, you might consider an AU50-AU55 Type 1 double eagle (minted between 1850-1866). The coin has 0.9675 oz of gold, and is far less common than most Type 3 double eagles. You should be able to find NGC or PCGS certified coins dated 1861, 1852, 1853, 1857-S in AU55 for under $2K, and tougher dates can be obtained in AU50-53. I think these coins are undervalues at current prices.

Over the past nine or ten years, I've been collecting all of the modern commemorative $5 gold coins. When the mint offered the double sets in wooden boxes, I went for those. The other day I started count up the number of gold coins I own, both old and modern and came up with over 100 pieces. :o

In a way my modern commemorative coins has became a way to dollar average purchases of gold. Since I purchased some of these coins when the gold bullion prices were around $325.00 an ounce, I've ended up with an investment in bullion. I'd buy gold over a period of time, and not all at once. Sure it looks like inflation might make the dollar worth a lot less in the future, but that's not guaranteed 100%. Gold should be only one of the homes for your money. Other investments are advised as well.

Sure it looks like inflation might make the dollar worth a lot less in the future, but that's not guaranteed 100%. Gold should be only one of the homes for your money. Other investments are advised as well.

The inflation thing his me worried - check out the number of notes they're printing:

http://www.bep.treas.gov/section.cfm/2/431

The numbers will blow your mind. So I was heading in the pre 1933 gold direction and also investing in "TIPS" Treasury Inflation Protected Securities.

The inflation thing his me worried - check out the number of notes they're printing:

The number of notes does not bother me. It's the increases in the money supply that are created by the rising debt.

I've read that the Chinese are now slow to buy our government bonds. Now the government is selling the bonds to the Federal Reserve. That is a direct increase in the money supply. That's worse than printing money because all the money amounts to is an accounting entry on computers.

It's been a while since I've seen the stats, but only about 19% of the money supply is in cash. Today it's probably lower because of debit and credit card. One percent is in coins the rest (80 to 90%) is just computer accounting entries.

Thank you again for the suggestions - here's the first one I picked up and way below list.

1887s10Gms62obv.jpg

A low NGC number in the old holder - nice coin in person. Wish it was a MS 63 though, what a jump in price.

That 19% is probably using either M2 or M3. I consider total outstanding credit to be a more accurate measure of the " money supply" because most of the "official" money supply includes debt anyway.

Total outstanding USD credit is at least $50 trillion while currency I believe is about $1 trillion. Excluding direct US government debt which will not experience a direct default, the rest of it is at risk and even if it does not occur, I expect the market price for much or most of this debt to decline substantially if the economy worsens. Much of this debt is already trading at a fraction of par.

The Liberty eagle is not in what would generally be considered an "an holder" since these were introduced around 2001. If there were also a reverse shot it might be easier to pinpoint the time better.

Where's the pic of the MS64 Quarter Eagle you mentioned earlier?

Congrats on the MS62 Eagle.

In route based on their Tuesday e-mail - the HA gold only auction (no BP) takes forever to get shipped. They even took the picture down before I could snag it also. So hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

A pre 1933 type set might be in order - I'm going to look for $1G's and $3G's at the show this weekend.