• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to get the best return on a sale

9 posts in this topic

Hi, Guys.

I am selling off some stuff, little by little and was wondering if I should have the 3 coins in this set certified and sell separately or should I sell the set together with the mint packaging to get the best return. There is a total mintage of 500 of the 1970 issues. Your opinions would be really appreciated. This isn't a treasure, I just don't know the best way to market the coins and I don't know if NGC could even slab them as 1 unit. Thanks for your thoughts. The largest coin is 2 1/4" in diameter. RI AL

albania001-1-1.jpg

You could do a multiholder, but why would you? The best way to sell this is in the original packaging. I know I would much rather have it that way, and you'll find that most collectors of this sort of stuff agree.

I agree. Most collectors of world coins do not prefer slabbed coins. Some yes such as the South Africa ZAR and Union that I collect but most no. You will need to decide whether the cost of the grading fees will increase the potential price enough.

I just sold 20 items on ebay. Some things did good but that is the exception. Prices are way down for items such as yours. Don't waste money grading them, you'll loose bigtime that way. It is best to set a minimum reserve price and let it go from there. I won't be having any more true .99C auctions again. A Marine Corp coin and stamp set of mine that I paid $40 from the mint for sold for $27 while the dollar BU coin alone sold for $30. I have lots more but I'm certainly not letting them go for those insultingly low prices! This is not the right market to be selling such items. Nice, solid, slabbed coins are selling well, though like a 1902 PCGS MS64 British crown sold very well!

How to get the best return on a sale?

Personally, I prefer the buyer keep the coins they bought and not return them.

I would suggest an ebay listing with minimum bid starting around 60% of Krause Catalog Value or lower. I believe 99c opening listings are too risky in this weak economy. I would not waste money slabbing the above coins.

Be sure and give as much info as possible - mintage, KM#, Bullion weight, etc. As far as mentioning Catalog Value in the auction thats up to you.

When I am buying wrold coins, I generally look to acquire these at 60% of Catalog Value or less because realistically, if I am going to be forced to blow them out in a fire sale this is about all I am going to realize if that much.

If your finding yourself blowing out coins in a fire sale too often, then your probably spending too much of your budget on coins.

Thanks, guys. As always, your'e a big help. The set will sell as is, in original packaging. They really are beautiful, I'm just "lightening the load" here.

Alan Ri AL

I am not sure what the value is for these coins however you can also set them up with a buy it now and reference the MSN cash back on buy it now purchases with Pay Pal .

Currently it is % 8 .