• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1909 Indian Head Cent grade please

18 posts in this topic

It seemed a little out of the ordinary to have a woodgrained toned Cent

without being a S but maybe they are common?

Anyways I thought to see what grade you guy's thought it may be.

What appears to be some rub marks on the obverse is just the toning.

It has plenty of luster. Today is one of my off says for imaging

I did 2 images, one with a little more light

Stefanie

08fe5676.jpg

f164e4d5.jpg

f5e510ba.jpg

9eb14fdd.jpg

Not gonna guess a grade.I'm terrible with IHC's.Woodgrains aren't too common but I've seen them in a variety of dates. Even early cents. I like them alot and have been looking for really nice ones like yours. I just noticed something odd in the obverse field in the arc next to united states. It looks like some king of very faint letters. Almost like a stencil. Can anyone else see it?

Looks about MS-63RB, but that graining is a bit too strong for my tastes and makes me think twice about the surface being original (just on the obv, the rev looks fine).

64+? Did you see the wear or lack of detail on the headdress and the wreath (esp right side) and the hair? Those were the only reasons I said MS-63 and not higher. Granted I'm a Lincoln collector, but I'm unaware of the 1909 IHC being a generally weakly struck piece.

I'd go with MS-63, R&B, but the woodgrain look has never been my thing. I've seen this look more often on the Mint State 1909-S Indian cents.

I believe the 1909 is generally weak, because by then the mint knew they wouldn't need new dies. This strike seems relatively nice to me, since all four diamonds are sharp and fully defined. I expect mushy feathers on this issue, though.

I've outlined the "stencil" markings I can see. . Can you see this? Have no idea what it is.

Its just the woodgrain toning.....IMO

Here are some big images. The last one is where I rotated the coin and it seems to

blend in or disappear.

Stefanie

These 2 images show the clashes well.

nntl45.jpg

30hws5j.jpg

this one is rotated

2469vyc.jpg

Those planchet streaks do not bother me in the slightest. I happen to enjoy coins with character.

The "right" grade may well be MS-63 RB for all I know, but for my personal tastes, I like this look.

Is that a good thing or bad thing

In a way, neither.

The woodgrain and the streaks are the result of a less than perfect mixture of the copper, tin and zinc alloy that make up the bronze that is in the cent. Some collectors, like James, like this look. To me it's passable if the effect is not too severe, but I'd prefer a coin without it. I've seen a few 1909-S Indian cents that were so streaked that I would not buy them at almost any price. Since the coins in question are worth several hundred dollars without the streaking, that's a problem.

I've outlined the "stencil" markings I can see. . Can you see this? Have no idea what it is.

Looks like the wreath from another Indian Head that rested on it for a very long time.

PCGS IS CURRENTLY ON A HUGE BODYBAG KICK I CAN ATTeST TO THIS FROM MANY OF MY FRIENDS AND ALSO MANY DEALERS

i think from the photos and great photos by the way i think the coin is original and should grade

but well they sent in the coins and wanted the opinion and yes all because of cac in my opinion and this is a good thing

from one extreme in the past few years to now being harsh on grades and multiple bodybags because of all the mess they put into holders that shoujld have never been holdered and also now a big liability problem

can we say they might change to a 100 POINT SYSTEM IN A FEW YEARS?? to limit their liability

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM