• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone have any small hoard stories?

12 posts in this topic

The book I’m reading mentioned some hoards and now it’s on my mind. It must be so exciting to get a chance to view a group of coins that have gone untouched for 50 years or more. I’m interested in hearing any stories – even just a small box of undisturbed coins. Anyone (shrug)

I recently got the chance to look at / help sell a batch of coins that had been put away in about 1979 or so. (The last part of it) Anyhow, There was about 12 CC Morgans in the gov packaging. Gotta love the $15.00 price tag on them. :) 82, 83, and 84 were the dates. Also there was some other loose coins. Which had 1885 CC (MS) and 1890 CC (AU) plus some other nice morgans from Bowers and Rudy. Fun times. :)

Back when I worked at McDonalds Someone brought in and spent about 15 Dollars (face) of 1963D pennys, Original bank rolled. I bought about 6 rolls from the store. Later on one of my room mates saw the rolled pennys and spent them figuring that I wouldn't miss them and that he would pay me back later. :frustrated:

A couple years back I found someone with 6 original bank rolls of 1959 pennys. I bought them all at $1 a roll.

You see alot of old hoards show up around here hanging out at the local coin shop.

One time a elderly lady came in with around 1800 circulated Steel cents. lol

I also recall someone coming in one time with an old Dansco 7070 filled with mostly BU coins with only the oldest types being AU. I seem to recall him saying that he had bought the album a while back but had the coins since the '60s?

Good stories. Thanks.

I’m close with my uncle and my aunt who live down in Oklahoma. My aunt has been buying mint sets since at least the early fifties. I’d love to see if there are any brilliant toners in there but she keeps them hidden for some reason and I don’t want to pry. Maybe she just doesn’t want to sell them and doesn’t want to be tempted. I don’t know…

Scotsman received what appears to be the balance of "The Merten Treasure", an extremely cool hoard of coins dug up from a crop field in Illinois. The coins in the hoard were dated from the 1700s through the early 1840s. Sadly, the finder cleaned them all (in about 1973), but the coins are nonetheless exciting and well detailed.

I already posted this before but here it is again!!

Everyone in my family knows that I collect coin and they always save coins that they think I might like. Well my mom got married a few years ago and while I was at a family dinner with my step-dad's side of the family, his mom and dad found out that I collect coins and then showed me some of the coins that they have. Nothing really that special but then they told me that when they got married in 1942 they received over 100 morgan dollars for wedding presents. I immediately jumped out of my seat and asked to look at those coins but she told me that they were at the bank in the safe box. She said that they have saved them since they were all gifts. I then asked what else do you have in the safe box and she said that she has a whole mason jar full of 2-cent pieces. She said that they were hoarding the 2-cent pieces in the late 30's. She also said there is some indian head pennies and walkers and lost of other coins. She said she couldn't remember all of the coins that were in the safe box because she hasn't look in the safe box for over 10 years.

She said she will take me to the bank so I check the collection out.

I cant wait to check out the 2-Cent pieces, I already told her I want the whole jar!! :acclaim:

Sounds like some really nice coins James! What are we going to do with these non-numismatists headslap.gif ?

Jaime, I wish I had a story like that! Of course, you’ll have to give us the whole story after you get a chance to go!

Circa 1960 when I was ten years old I would visit my Grandparents on my mother's side in Greenville, TX. Greenville was a town of around 20,000, the seat of Hunt County and about 50 miles east of Dallas. Greenville had a sign outside of town which said "The Blackest Land and Whitest People." Mostly everybody went to church and guys wanted to marry a "nice girl." I don't believe even the Sci Fi writers of the day could have envisioned a country like we have today where Gay Marriage was an issue (let alone discussed), where the taxpayers bailed out crooks on wallstreet, where the USA had been successfully invaded by an army of tens of millions of illegal aliens pouring thru our weakly defended border (while crooked politicians and big business gleefully stood by profiting from this - is it any wonder these guys sold out American workers later thru downsizing, outsourcing, and shipping USA jobs overseas?), or an ongoing 8 year war with religious zealots who are Kamikaze Bombers using their own women and children as fodder. My mother's stepfather ran a grocery store and chili factory. He had a special room (Den) off from their bedroom in their circa 1940 brick house. In the den was his safe (which I now have), a plethoria of railroad books (he had been a railroad man), and a single barrell "Long Tom" shotgun on the wall (I also have), and a bunkbed. His den was also the coolest room in the house as it had its own ac unit. If I were ever to pick a place and time to go relive my life, it would be Greenville circa 1958.

One evening, he was showing me a bunch of silver dollars he had in a drawer in his safe that had come in thru the store. One he gave me (almost every summer visit from where I lived in Houston I would get a silver dollar), an 1891-S I kept for a long time and it gradded MS 66 PL when PCGS first came online (I sold it a long time ago for a bundle). I would just about give anythig to have a chance to search thru all those bright and shiny silver dollars filling up that drawer in his safe; I recall a bright and shiny ten Indian too. He was no serious coin collector but when something nice came in thru the store or from the bank I believe he would put it away.

Unfortunately after his death in 1964 at the age of 56, my grandmother and parents took all the coins to the bank and cashed them at face (I later found out). I would have loved to have inherited all those coins. Its a shame that collection was dispersed like that. I had just began collecting coins at that time and probably was too occupied with my new drivers liscense, car priveledges, and girls to have asked the questions I should have about the disposition of the coins.

My wife was working in the Sears Appliance section when this happened on or about 1990. A customer came in and wanted trash compactor bags and my wife showered her the selection, even matching her up with the unit at home. Going to the register, the lady took out her wallet as my wife rang up $14.95 plus tax $1.16 = $16.11

The lady laid out some folding money and then from the bottom of her purse, brought out three green rolls of nickels or 6 bucks, So, there was $10 bill, three rolls of nickels and a dime and a penny to make the total just right.

My wife picked up one of the rolls and peeled back the flaps and notice a buffalo nickel. She did the same to the other rolls and they were also buffalo nickels. In order to save time, she got a modern Jefferson bank wrap roll of nickels out of the register and tapped them all down and measured the lengths. The all appeared to be the same length, 20 nickels per roll so she rang the customer up, the bags went into a caring bag and the cash went into the register.

At the end of the shift, each employee counts the money to make sure the cash in the drawer matches the tally on the register. At this time, with the security cameras running, my wife switched out the roles of Buffaloes for dollar bills, and everything was balanced.

When she got home, she acted just like any other normal night of her coming home, sore feet, rude customers, no sales or sold items that were being cancelled. This night I heard something “clunk” on the table and paid not to much mind to it until the second clunk hit the table. I looked over and she was grinning and was setting down yet the third roll of nickels.

I asked if she was going to bingo or something and would be needing all those nickels when she told me they were all buffalo nickels this lady brought in and paid for compactor bags. I immediately arose and walked over to the table, picked on up and peeled back a few of the flaps and sure enough, there was the Indian staring at me through the end of the tube.

I shook it a bit and about 15 slide out and I could immediacy see that these were going to be the circulated variety but couldn’t wait to get into the other rolls. Before attempting to slide them back in, I did a cursory inspection of a date range and they all seemed to be common dates. Perhaps the other rolls will produce some better looking coins along with some better dated Buffalos.

All three rolls contained your basic common coins, all the ones with high mintages and they all appeared to have been circulated. Not the greatest of finds, but to come into 120 type coins out of the blue makes for a good days work sorting through them.

There were about 35 slick dates, 50 readable dates, 25 average dated coins with about 10 exceptional dates. I would say there was nothing past a MS60 grade wise, but it was still exciting looking over the lot, you just never know what you might pull out of a bunch as such, it’s fun.

Some went into folders, some went into the junk box while others went into flips. I still have all that lower junk, one of these days I’ll rid myself of it, at least I know I have a few bucks handy if times get really tough.

I figured the total value (numismatic) to be around $37.50 - $50.00 way more than the $6 face value.

It was a good day and I thanked my wife for taking the effort to cull these out…from then one I was waiting for her to bring home a few rolls of Franklin Halves!