• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some Morgan opinions *Finally Committed to buying one*

19 posts in this topic

Ok.. few things. How do I distinguish exactly what type for this year this morgan is? I saw all kinds of varieties in the PG.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Looks cleaned to me.. You guys know more than I do though.

I did not buy this coin..

That's an 1878 7TF (TF=tail feathers). It appears to have been dipped or otherwise lightly cleaned, but the images don't allow for a good look at the coin.

I have another coin in the can U spare a grade forum. Meant to put this one there as well but... messed up.

I passed on that coin...

However, I got my very first Morgan this eve.

Well I have posted on a few Morgans in the past couple months and based on feedback I passed on the coins I was looking at previously. I finally found one at a low price that is not a key date but really looks nice. I hope It doesn't body bag on me. If so no big deal. Its a nice looking coin and didn't hurt my wallet. Grade opinions are welcome.

The seller title ESTATE SILVER~MIRROR LIKE~UNC~MS~PROOF LIKE

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

It's not Unc. Rim bumps and cleaning make it not worth having it slabbed. It's a very common date Morgan

It's not Unc. Rim bumps and cleaning make it not worth having it slabbed. It's a very common date Morgan
I can't tell from the images that it's not unc. That said, it doesn't appear to be proof-like (as described) or worth trying to get slabbed.

Didz wouldn't it be better to buy a graded coin if your not sure what to look for in a series?

Or visit a local coin show and at least see the coin in-hand?

Didz wouldn't it be better to buy a graded coin if your not sure what to look for in a series?

Or visit a local coin show and at least see the coin in-hand?

I can answer that one for you ;) Absolutely!

The 1885-O is a dog that might have been polished.

I love when Tom speaks his mind :cloud9: I was concerned about the surfaces as well.

Didz, I guess I’m not sure what you’re trying to purchase. Are you just trying to purchase a problem-free MS Morgan in pretty much any MS grade and any date and mintmark?

The 1885-O is a dog that might have been polished.

I love when Tom speaks his mind :cloud9: I was concerned about the surfaces as well.

Didz, I guess I’m not sure what you’re trying to purchase. Are you just trying to purchase a problem-free MS Morgan in pretty much any MS grade and any date and mintmark?

Dog?? Wow thats nice makes me feel like posting more often.

Anyway, I looked at the coin. It looked nice to me.. price was not high and thats about it. I have no morgans in my collection. I know this is not a key date and I could care less how it grades. I was just curious what everyone else thought. I rarely buy old coins and the reason is there is no way to really prove the grade/condition of a coin. I have seen coins that sell for tons of money that I wouldn't pay a dime for. I have seen coins I thought were awesome that most agree are garbage. I guess I am good at picking out (dogs) garbage based on the feedback. I guess I like (dogs) garbage coins.

I don't like dealing to much with old because I rarely agree with what most people feel is priceless. A lot of the grading in my opinion is a matter of opinion and the mood of the grader at the time. Toned coins are awesome but most to me looked toned for reasons other than natural toning.

I guess I just really suck at picking out coins that might grade high. I thought the coin looked great even though the pics are not real good. I plan on buying another (dog) garbage coin similar to it. Thanks for the feedback.

Ok.. few things. How do I distinguish exactly what type for this year this morgan is? I saw all kinds of varieties in the PG.

I just provided a guide for this in another thread - 1878 Morgan Dollar major varieites.. I hope this clears it up for you.

Thanks for the input.. I'm not a huge morgan fan but my wife likes them so I ventured to get a couple.

I realized what I wrote was particularly blunt, but I truly wrote the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the image and read the seller's description. Perhaps if I had taken the time to explain my opinion in greater depth and had not been so straightforward it may have been a better post on my part.

I wasn't too concerned with the rarity of the date or the lack of any discernible toning. The 1885-O is a very common issue, if I recall correctly, and one that is also available with terrific, booming luster. In this way it is quite similar to what might be thought of as the prototypical Morgan type coin, the 1881-S, though I think the 1881-S is more common with PL characteristics or wonderfully toned. The fact that the coin is untoned also does not bother me since so many of these coins had been found in US Mint bags that it is not unusual to find an original Morgan dollar with only trace, if any, color.

My interpretation of the image, along with the availability of this or other dates that are generally attractive, is why I wrote what I did. The images on my monitor appear to be consistent with being more flat on the obverse hair details than I would expect for this date in MS. The images also make the coin look to have absolutely no luster, which is something that can be avoided for this date. Additionally, it looks as though there may be some haze on the surfaces. The combination of these interpretations with the description and availability of nice coins for this series immediately made me think the coin was a lightly circulated AU that had been polished or had jeweler's rouge applied to it in order to smooth out the surfaces, bring out a more mirror-like shine and produce a piece that might be passed off as MS.

This is why I called it a dog, even though that was likely too harsh a thing to write so directly. By the way, my own type set simply contains an 1881-S in MS64, so I have nothing against common Morgan dates in mid-range MS grades.

Didz, you will quickly discover that there are people on this forum who are like umpires - they just call 'em like they see 'em. No fluff, no flowery words. It's nothing personal, just their form of constructive criticism. Don't take it to heart, just use it as a learning experience. :)

I realized what I wrote was particularly blunt, but I truly wrote the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the image and read the seller's description. Perhaps if I had taken the time to explain my opinion in greater depth and had not been so straightforward it may have been a better post on my part.

I wasn't too concerned with the rarity of the date or the lack of any discernible toning. The 1885-O is a very common issue, if I recall correctly, and one that is also available with terrific, booming luster. In this way it is quite similar to what might be thought of as the prototypical Morgan type coin, the 1881-S, though I think the 1881-S is more common with PL characteristics or wonderfully toned. The fact that the coin is untoned also does not bother me since so many of these coins had been found in US Mint bags that it is not unusual to find an original Morgan dollar with only trace, if any, color.

My interpretation of the image, along with the availability of this or other dates that are generally attractive, is why I wrote what I did. The images on my monitor appear to be consistent with being more flat on the obverse hair details than I would expect for this date in MS. The images also make the coin look to have absolutely no luster, which is something that can be avoided for this date. Additionally, it looks as though there may be some haze on the surfaces. The combination of these interpretations with the description and availability of nice coins for this series immediately made me think the coin was a lightly circulated AU that had been polished or had jeweler's rouge applied to it in order to smooth out the surfaces, bring out a more mirror-like shine and produce a piece that might be passed off as MS.

This is why I called it a dog, even though that was likely too harsh a thing to write so directly. By the way, my own type set simply contains an 1881-S in MS64, so I have nothing against common Morgan dates in mid-range MS grades.

I really appreciate the more definitive explanation. I can also appreciate you taking the time to clarify on your post and thats very respectful. I'm new to old coins and honestly for the price I really was not to concerned about the grade. I did wish to learn if it would even grade or not. When I have it in hand I will be able to tell more and I will put or more pictures if I keep it. My wife thinks the coins are gorgeous. I think buying a nongraded coin on ebay is to risky if you start talking lots of money.

Thanks.

Didz, you will quickly discover that there are people on this forum who are like umpires - they just call 'em like they see 'em. No fluff, no flowery words. It's nothing personal, just their form of constructive criticism. Don't take it to heart, just use it as a learning experience. :)

I'm pretty much here to learn and I guess it caught me wrong because I didn't learn much of anything from that post. I'm an artist so constructive criticism has been a part of my life since high school. That was over 20 years ago. I can appreciate the up front honesty but that doesn't help us folks that are new to this and want to learn. He clarified and I respect that.