• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wheat back design dropped for 2010 cent

14 posts in this topic

........coin world said the design has been scrapped. the reverse looked too much like a coin made in weimar, germany. go figure. :popcorn:

The wheat sheaves design was similar to the German 2 reichspfennig (1924-1936). The approach has been to not imitate designs on foreign coins.

Had the mint called on the expertise of the CCAC members earlier in the process, it would have learned of the similarity long before candidate designs were published. Interestingly, Victor Brenner's first design for the cent reverse was a near-copy of the reverse of the French silver 2 franc. Fortunately, this was also caught in time.

I'm glad. Have you seen the other proposed designs that weren't recommended? Very cool -- they were posted ATS.

2010lincolncentreverseconsideration.jpg

.......i believe the shield design in the last row, is now the 'winner' :popcorn:

I certainly hope so! The wheat sheath was hideous!

I picked the shield and the "One Country" eagle designs as the best. My wife also picked those two independent of me. So, I can live with the shield reverse. I like it.

the one country eagle is a good one. I like lady liberty in front of the flag, but i can never see that happening. also like the very first capital and the capital with the flag. the sword is a good one and I feel the flag only one is great, but would NEVER appear on a standard issue coin--a commem perhaps

Of all the designs only two of them fit the design mandates that it symbolize Lincoln's holding together of the Union. The Wheat sheath was one and it has been scrapped, that just leaves the One country one destiny design. Have no idea if they will select it, probably not.

The selected design is described in Coin World's current issue.