• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will the rim bumps keep this Bust dollar out of an NGC holder?

18 posts in this topic

I see the bumps, in fact there are a lot of them. I was gonna give you an o'clock on some of the bumps, but I think I'd have to go every five minutes! Check out the white spots on the rim, that's where the bumps are at. Good coin nonetheless.

I see the bumps, in fact there are a lot of them. I was gonna give you an o'clock on some of the bumps, but I think I'd have to go every five minutes! Check out the white spots on the rim, that's where the bumps are at. Good coin nonetheless.

Thank you!

(Someone who appreciates my sense of humor.)

Fake or not, I see no rim bumps. The wavy edge on a bust dollar is characteristic of the series and caused by the edge lettering process, which pounds sunken charactures into the rim.

I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I have some concern about authenticity here. The coin looks a bit fuzzy to me in photos, and these coins, especially in the EF-AU grades should have crisp and sharp definition. I’d be more concerned about authenticity than the rims. I’m also concerned about the look of the toning and fact that one side is dark and the other is light. I’ve seen this sort of thing on some of the Chinese stuff that Beth Deisher as been showing at the FUN show and the EAC convention.

This one is a FAKE. I purchased a little over a year ago after negotiating with the 'minter' of these.

It is on a correct silver planchet (of the right size and weight as many current counterfeits are struck on "Morgan dollar" sized planchets). The 'minter' took extra time to strike the coin (instead of the usual speed of pump and jump).

It was also allowed to somewhat 'age'.

It was shown at the Long Beach coin show shortly after I received it and the ANACS on-site graders gave it a verbal, "OK/PASS" and thought it would slab at either a strong XF45 or possibly AU50.

I also showed it to a couple of dealers there and they were impressed.

Now, it isn't the typical low quality you can purchase off of eBay but it does tell me that if these Chinese counterfeiters were to really 'dot their i's and cross their t's" they could produce coins of a high quality that could/would enter the U.S. market and slowly erode the confidence of many (seasoned) dealers and collectors.

I also ordered a FH shortly afterward but they blew it by providing a well struck coin, but on a planchet that was slightly off in size.)

This one is a FAKE. I purchased a little over a year ago after negotiating with the 'minter' of these.

It was also allowed to somewhat 'age'.

It was shown at the Long Beach coin show shortly after I received it and the ANACS on-site graders gave it a verbal, "OK/PASS" and thought it would slab at either a strong XF45 or possibly AU50.

I also showed it to a couple of dealers there and they were impressed.

Now, it isn't the typical low quality you can purchase off of eBay but it does tell me that if these Chinese counterfeiters were to really 'dot their i's and cross their t's" they could produce coins of a high quality that could/would enter the U.S. market and slowly erode the confidence of many (seasoned) dealers and collectors.

Funny post and all that, but to the hobby itself, I think it is only a matter of time before either China, or another entity, produces high quality fakes that not only fool most, but the majority of experts.

As an example, can you imagine the hit this industry would take if a few hundred 1893 S morgans minted in high quality nearly undetectable (in vaious grades) fakes were infused slowly into the market?

That could have a devastating effect.