• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I bought a RAW coin on Ebay - 1878-cc -

25 posts in this topic

Can not really see the fields - I wonder if this will be one of those

AU58PL's :)

I like the look but we will see in hand I guess.

78911.jpg.f199c5307a8eb5ffa442458af92a0abc.jpg

Spending all that extra cash already? The wife's gonna be mad when you downgrade her bedroom set to an AU58 as well!! :D

You forgot I had those 55 coins that I had to shift the monies back into the collection. In some form or another :)

Two BIG ones left quickly - The 1950 Ben franklin PF66 and The 1950 Lincoln PF66* Red cameo

Two others are on Ebay at EXTRODINARY prices looking for a Newbie :) or a registry user ..

Added to the Morgan Collection already

1887-o

1903-s

1904-s

This coin is just speculative

I predict: MS-62 DMPL.

The seller described it as a DMPL ... I am hesitant to say anything until its in hand.

:) I think the darkness maybe covering stuff up ...

Of course I would have guessed on someone elses coin too lol

The reverse looks to be pretty nice, but the obverse appears to be pretty chopped up. I agree with James, MS-62, DPL. The darkness of the picture might not be a problem. I know a lot of Proof and P-L coins that I have photograph that way with the "black and white" look.

I guess I'll digress for just a moment, since I hate Morgan dollars so much :o ! (Where's cpm9ball when you really need someone to pick on?)

Having cataloged quite a number of 1878-CC piece, one peculiarity of the issue that I have noted is that they always seem to be either normally lustrous, or DMPL, and nary a coin shall fall in between! It just seems like you seldom see these just "prooflike". They seem to lie at one extreme or t'other.

It's a tough date to find REALLY nice, such that the mint frost on Liberty's portrait isn't beat up, though often the fields are acceptably free from scuffiness.

Now... back to our regularly scheduled program lol ...

Sorry to disappoint you but this is a GSC over graded Morgan and probably not DMPL.

They doctor their photos and over grade their raw coins . They called this Choice BU ++++ , which if you sent it in for grading would probably grade out at Au 58 – MS 61.

I bought from these guys last year and received 4 over graded coins , one was wire brush cleaned. The 3 supposed Bu coins were all Au 58 , one they called choice au/unc was more like a Xf 45 or Au 50 .

Maybe you will get lucky and receive a properly graded coin. These guys will give you a no questions asked return so the most you lose is the shipping

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=greatsoutherncoin&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home

Here is one of the coins they sold me , this one was called gem BU :

The first 2 pictures are the GSC photos , the other 3 are what the coins really looked like .

I kept this coin and sent it to ANACS , the price I paid was minimal and I sold it on EBAY for a wash .

78925.jpg.9fe79c6f8da33e762cbe4cc543094e1f.jpg

78926.jpg.bc40085e2f68641010e0a6408bc4944b.jpg

78927.jpg.37e8976f45469f2e5d8a1c7f717adf79.jpg

78928.jpg.c488a5b0a04b83c3d77f5470e0f6a23b.jpg

78929.jpg.c4d2be786d988343f756cb027ec9add5.jpg

Here is another one of the coins they sold me , this one was called choice Au /Unc

The first 2 pictures are the GSC photos , the other 2 are what the coins really looked like .

I bought these when I had started to collect again and was pretty lame at grading :-}

This one I sent back because I paid about $ 360 for it .

The other coin was a 1929 SLQ they called Gem BU FH , it was an Au58 . You could not really see the rub from their photo . Unfortunately I don’t have the original GSC photo for that coin but will post the coin I received if anyone cares to see it. That one went back as well as I paid an MS 63 price for the coin .

78930.jpg.31a7dda94416ad39186edcaf76c9840d.jpg

78931.jpg.317077bc8c07a6bda101c5e2de283ade.jpg

78932.jpg.5e15a8109737959a5fd817f1b41f8204.jpg

78933.jpg.4c5d9e62b569bc6a3f158118786cd412.jpg

Its hard to believe that its the same coin! :o Thank you for sharing and the great visuals

I knew this ... as I said I think it will be another AU58PL

we will see

Sorry to disappoint you but this is a GSC over graded Morgan and probably not DMPL.

They doctor their photos and over grade their raw coins . They called this Choice BU ++++ , which if you sent it in for grading would probably grade out at Au 58 – MS 61.

I bought from these guys last year and received 4 over graded coins , one was wire brush cleaned. The 3 supposed Bu coins were all Au 58 , one they called choice au/unc was more like a Xf 45 or Au 50 .

Maybe you will get lucky and receive a properly graded coin. These guys will give you a no questions asked return so the most you lose is the shipping

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=greatsoutherncoin&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home

Let me add to the list: I purchased a raw 1879-O morgan two months ago from the Great Southern Coin billed on ebay as "Near GEM BU ++ PL". The pictures was just as juiced as the ones you have posted.

In hand, terribly misrepresented, an absolute flat looking low grade MS. Ugly to boot.

I sent her back the same day and received every penny back, which is all I can say nice about them.

I think you should stick to the graded AU58 PL's; your friends here will not cheat you ;)

Again, to give some balance to the story - if you buy certified coins from GSC, they are a great company to work with. I've gotten several Franklins from them that I've been very happy with.

Again, to give some balance to the story - if you buy certified coins from GSC, they are a great company to work with. I've gotten several Franklins from them that I've been very happy with.

Buying certified and buying raw is totally different. The seller can not take the blame for a poorly graded slabbed coin unless of course they know they are selling one. :grin:

If GSC did not juice up their pictures and were more forthcoming about problem coins I would cut them some slack. We are talking about a company that sells a lot of Slidders that they grade as choice or gem Bu . Add onto that many of their coins have other issues that are not visible in their photos because they are enhanced. They have more problems then their feedback shows. Because of their fair return policy many buyers choose not to leave a negative. The other issue is a lot of the people who buy these raw coins don’t have a clue how to grade and think they purchased a great coin. It is when they send it in to be certified or finally bring it to a dealer that they get the bad news.

They are not bad guys they just sell a lot of bad coins .

GSC pictures always look different than in hand. I made some corrections with the balance to show what it will more look like. It will still be lighter when you see it. I got a 1880-CC from them I was happy with, but others were sent back.

79029.jpg.35acdfd9bc832f5e1992eef8f5ff44f3.jpg

79030.jpg.25c412af70d757d6df55484cc233e74b.jpg

79031.jpg.b8e807bf90b23c846de1b9e4fef329a2.jpg

This isn't the first time this company has gotten slammed.I've always been drawn to those amazing pictures GSC uses. But I've never bought from them. Partly because I know the purpose for that type of picture is to make coins look better,but the other is that the coins I look at always end up selling for a lot more than I would pay. Glad I've held off. I've got to say though,that if that 78 CC turns out like the "fixed" picture I think Jgrinz will be happy. I'd like it if It were mine.

I have long been aware of how much GSC juices and manipulates their images of the gold coins which they sell as Gem BU (read: AU55). Re: Prudden's post.

Its better to see in hand anyway ... and If it aint what it supposed to be

he gets it back

Good to hear form you OT3

Thanks Mike. I was very sick with (2) bouts of pretty serious pneumonia in a three month period and a lung tumor that was diagnosed malignent that has finally been resolved. This kept me off the boards for awhile.

The disapointment of my coin sale experience in September took the wind out of my sails for awhile also. I had to get past both issues. I'm not really active as a collector now but am still in the loup with the coins that I still have.

Thanks Mike. I was very sick with (2) bouts of pretty serious pneumonia in a three month period and a lung tumor that was diagnosed malignent that has finally been resolved. This kept me off the boards for awhile.

The disapointment of my coin sale experience in September took the wind out of my sails for awhile also. I had to get past both issues. I'm not really active as a collector now but am still in the loup with the coins that I still have.

Hi Old Trader ,

You were one of the first people I spoke with when I joined this forum .

What happened with your coin sale in September ??

Did you have that tumor removed? If so I hope you recovering quickly from your surgey.

M

HE unloaded a lot of his coins via David Lawrence Rare Coins. There was a big discussion on how bad one employee was there. Lets just say the post got deleted by the moderators, as there were more than one person that had issues with the company, and turned out to be less than a construtive post :)

*THEY BANNED MY ACCOUNT ON THEIR SITE FOR BIDDING OR BUYING ANYTHING THERE :(

That was in my ill days and I do not blame them as I was not in 'good humour' in those days :)

At least I think that was him and his experience :)

* I just found this out recently *