• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Submission guidelines?

7 posts in this topic

Can someone outline what the submission guidelines are for submitting coins to NGC? They do not state anywhere if they should be in 2x2 flips or whatnot unless you finish the submission form. Since I live 100 miles from the nearest town I would like to know what supplies I need to purchase before getting my order ready. Also, Can I leave moderns in their mint airtites or do I need to remove them? If I have to remove them, I can just see me losing a point or two. Thanks from a newbie (a PCGS Convert)

TCPIP - Probably be good to ask this question in the Ask NGC forum. However, her is NGC's own guide for how to package coins for submission: LINK.

As for leaving moderns in their holders, this question has been ansered as "No". You need to crack them out and package them properly (above) before submission.

I still purchase my mylar flips (2.5 x 2.5) from PCGS, as I have not yet found a cheaper source. I also like the large size because getting large coins in and out of them is easy.

Hoot

Thanks, but I read that also and that article provides no detail at all. Do I put the coins in non PVC baggies and then in 2.5 square flips like ANACS, do I put them in 2.5 square flips only? Also, what would be the best way to preserve the coins surface if mailing? It seems that removing them from the mint airtite is asking for trouble, I only ask because PCGS will let you do this, and if NGC won't, I may consider going back to PCGS even though their grading stinks right now.

I always place my coins in a polyethylene baggie then in the 2.5 inch flip. I've never had a complaint from NGC. You can also use 2 inch flips, however, and you can use any kind you want. I only choose mylar to avoid the PVC. As for the moderns, just open them over a velvet tray and gently pry the holder apart. I've done hundreds and never had a mishap. In fact, this can give you an opportunity to use compressed air (gently) to remove dust and that came from the Mint. NGC does require it. I was leary at first, but got over it quickly. The poly bag makes handling the moderns much easier.

Pack the coins by banding them together and wrapping them in the submission form, then pack in packing peanuts or plastic bags (as from the grocery) or bubbles, providing a good cushion around the coins (a couple inches). Get paper tape from a business supply (I find it at Staples) and fully wrap the package so that all edges are covered and the package is fully covered in tape. Then mail it via registered mail - always the safest.

Hoot

Let me add the minor detail that Hoot's pointer about using paper packaging tape is imperative if you plan to send the package registered mail. The USPS are sticklers on this. The reason (I asked them) is twofold. First, the paper tape evinces tampering more obviously. Second, the paper retains the postmarking stamp's imprint whereas with plastic it can be rubbed off and reapplied. You'll notice that the postal worker stamps the package about a million times over and along the tape. All of this is designed to make it obvious if any foul play occurs in transit.

Best of luck on your submissions!

I have only submitted coins to NGC one time, so I am by no means an expert, but I sent a 2002 proof SAE in, in its mint capsule and it was graded PF70UCAM. If I remember correctly, the lady at NGC told me that I could do this. Perhaps you should ask customer service regarding mint capsules?