• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is color important to you? and what is good color to you? for your coin interest

33 posts in this topic

Michael, I think you are going to find that the number of responses to these questions are going to be a varied as there are members! Every factor you can think of will come into the decision of any of us purchasing a coin with tone. The specific coin that has tone, the basic, first impression the toning gives to first sight, a persons favorite color or combination of colors, where they are on the coin, how extensive the toning is, its "formation" and mix, the "design" of the toning, i.e., basic color or colors separate from each other or intermixed, etc. etc.

It is an excellent question, but one that would be VERY hard for any of us to put into words. It would almost have to be on a coin-by-coin assessment for each of us. This kind of relates back to market grading of coins and the should or should not add points for tone (eye appeal).

As for myself, I really go for the ones on Jeffs (specific to me) that have an interesting mix of colors to the tone. I also prefer the tone to be spotty, not widely dispersed to either side. Sometimes, the tone can be in the form of a minute, mix of neon-bright colors that can really only be appreciated thru a 10X. I would personally like this scenerio for tone over any wide brush swath of colors such as rainbow or target toning (to me, this is also a signal it may have been ATed) but not always.

347724-tone.jpg

This kind of toning pulls my eyes to a specific area of the coin, whereas a softly golden tone that is unbroken and unchanging only takes one general view by the eyes for the brain to either like it or so-so it, but doesn't grab you and make you want to examine it more deeply and/or closely, or turn it to a light source to get a better register of the color for the appeal.

I hope this makes sense to readers, as it is quite esoterical in nature.

I have a PREFERENCE for this kind of splotchy, bright colors tone, but again, it is on a coin-by-coin basis.

Michael, As you may have expected my answer is a resounding Yes!

Being a collector of Toned Morgan Dollars My Favorite colors are Emerald Green, and Cherry Red. For no other reason than they are the colors that are most pleasing to my eye. If I collected another series my choice of colors may be different, as to my eye certain coins have more eye appeal with certain colors.

I collect toned and non toned coins. A nice coin is a nice coin! I collect mainly silver coins and blue and red are my favorites, probably because they are my favorite colors. I also really enjoy green. My very favorite is a combination when the coin is toned one color and the periphery is another. Also the luster has to come right through the toning for me.

Michael,

Color is not important to me in the sense that if I am looking for a particular coin and I find one that is well struck, has great luster, and is PQ for the grade, I will not pass it up just because it is not toned.

Now if I happen to find an example of the coin I am looking for that FIRST meets the criteria listed above, and happens to be toned the way I like tone to look, and the seller is not asking an outrageous premium for the toning, than I would certainly add such a coin to my collection.

The type of toning I like is when the color seems to be in the metal of the coin as opposed to looking like it is sitting on top of the coins surface. The tone must not interfere with the coins luster. Colors don’t really matter as long as they are not too dark, although I do have a preference for lighter colors that have an iridescent look to them.

I don’t like toning that looks dirty or like a stain on the coin, or is dark, blotchy, mottled, or shows fingerprints. IMO if toning is not truly pretty it does not enhance the eye appeal of a coin, but instead becomes a detriment to a coins eye appeal, one that I personally will not stand for when buying a coin.

John

Color is not important to me in the sense that if I am looking for a particular coin and I find one that is well struck, has great luster, and is PQ for the grade, I will not pass it up just because it is not toned.

This quote made me think a bit. Would I buy a coin if it wasn't toned in some way? Well this has made me sit down and think what it is exactly that I do when I decide whether I LIKE a coin or not. I collect Buffs and $5 and $10 Indian gold so let me look at each series:

Buffs: I have a couple of "white" Buffs but not many. Even those I'm considering breaking out of the holder to toss them into a Dansco for a long period of time to what happens. So I'd say that if the coin is NOT a particularly RARE date I'd probably wait from a nicely toned example. Hell, I might even wait for a rare date toned one also even if it isn't as well struck. Luster, on the other hand, is a MUST.

Gold: Though gold doesn't normally come toned it does have it's hues. I'll know almost immediately whether I like the color of the coin BUT in ALL cases the coin MUST have luster...which is often hard to come by on $5 Indians.

Bottom line: Luster, for the most part, comes first followed by the overall color of the coin. Strike and marks are down the list for me....it seems.

jom

Buffs: I have a couple of "white" Buffs but not many. Even those I'm considering breaking out of the holder to toss them into a Dansco for a long period of time to what happens. So I'd say that if the coin is NOT a particularly RARE date I'd probably wait from a nicely toned example. Hell, I might even wait for a rare date toned one also even if it isn't as well struck. Luster, on the other hand, is a MUST.

Jom,

I happen to love toned Buffalo's (just take a look at my buffalo set), but especially in a series such as this, where so many of the tougher dates are hard to find fully struck, I would take the better struck tough date coin over a weakly struck example with toning any day. Personally, I believe that there is way too much emphasis given to toning nowadays, while other aspects of a coins quality or desirability (such as strike rarity in the case of Buffalo's) are being over looked in favor of tone. To me, toning should be the icing on top of the cake, after all the other truly important aspects of a coins quality have been met.

Granted, this is subjective, because we all have our own limits as to what we will or will not accept when it comes to strike, marks, luster, or tone, but I believe that generally it is true.

Oh, BTW, I agree completely that luster is a must. Actually, IMO luster is THE most important aspect of a coins eye appeal, white or toned.

John

Oh, BTW, I agree completely that luster is a must. Actually, IMO luster is THE most important aspect of a coins eye appeal, white or toned.

Agreed completely.

The strike of a coin is also important but, to me, a lack of some strike is NOT anywhere near as detrimental as would be a lack of luster, IMO. I'm sure I'd love a 26-D fully struck Buff but I'd rather have one with some shades of tone than have one completely full strike. It's a matter of degree. Oddly though, the last time I saw a 26-D with a great strike that was in my cost ranger I passed on it. Why? It was too dark of a tone..lol

This also, BTW, is one of the reasons I personally don't pay too much attention to the strike designations. To me a good strike on the coin is "good enough" as long as the strike does NOT in any way effect the overall eye appeal of the coin. Whether it has a "Full Band" or "Full Butt" or whatever is not all that important to me...again...it's a matter of degree.

I also agree there is too much emphisis on tone these days BUT if that is what you like you can't really help it, can you? laugh.gif

jom

I believe color on a coin is a form of damage to the coin. Never is a colored or toned coin sought for the collection. Yuk is about all that can be said about Toned coins.

Of course, if you believe FairLane really means this drivel then I have some beach-front property in Montana I'd like to sell you...heh. laugh.gif

jom

Yes, color is important, especially with certain series. That's not to say that I do not own nor enjoy untoned coins as original, undipped silver can also be very attractive. Hell, even lightly dipped silver can be attractive. I do certainly seek-out colorful toning in different ways. The main series that I collect is Mercs and I pursue album or folder toned coins as they seem to tone the total side of the coin very nicely given enough time. The color that I seek most is red, and I do not mean shades of red such as rose or pink, but real red. Very tough to find. Attached is an example of a coin that came out of one of those old bank holders where you could store about $3.00 worth of dimes as a savings device. This coin now resides in an NGC holder.

348061-45so.jpg.55f5947516486f55c71e5ef6ea43768f.jpg

Heck a long dissertation on the merits of color was not needed so a short sarcastic reply was made. Either you like color or you don't. To each his own and all that Rah Rah stuff.

BTW....Luster is King. Anyone that says it is not better check the old noggin for damage.

makepoint.gif

Ken

Attached is an example of a coin that came out of one of those old bank holders where you could store about $3.00 worth of dimes as a savings device. This coin now resides in an NGC holder. 348061-45so.jpg348062-45sr.jpg

Very nice sanmary! Here is one of my toned Mercs.

348092-1941d%20merc%20obv.jpg348091-1941d%20merc%20rev.jpg

John

BTW....Luster is King. Anyone that says it is not better check the old noggin for damage.

Amen. I'll trade a solid white lusterless coin any day for a slightly soiled coin with ripping luster!! thumbsup2.gif

I think color is somewhat ok. The thing that frustrates me the most is the difficult nature of getting the color to show in different lights. This drives me crazy insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Couple of more hideous Mercs. Will you people PLEASE stop uploading that garbage? laugh.gif

jom

PS: Nice coins!

I’m sorry Jom. frown.gif I only did it for Sanmary. I’ll try not to have it happen again. sorry.gifsmirk.gif

Heck a long dissertation on the merits of color was not needed so a short sarcastic reply was made. Either you like color or you don't. To each his own and all that Rah Rah stuff.

BTW, In regard to Fairlaneman's above quote, the title of this thread is 'is color important to you? and what is good color to you? for your coin interest' isn’t it? I didn’t know we were not allowed to post as we liked. 893naughty-thumb.gif

John

About the only color I really seek out in coins is gold! And that's mainly because those coins are made out of GOLD! I have never really been much of a toning fan, and I certainly don't seek them out or pay a premium for them. I have very few toned coins, and those that I do have are probably for sale if you want them! flowerred.gif

Now that makes complete sense. Gold does not tone the way silver does. I've been trying to learn about gold before I make the plunge financially.

ps. If you are really interested in selling, PM me with a list and prices!

Hey Wilhborg I was talking about MY post not any other post on this thread. Hey Bud you are reading to much into a innocent post. Relax some and have a little fun .

So here is my answer. Yes color is important to me and the favorite is Bronze/Brown/Gold Rim Tone.

Here is the Rim Tone.

ACF7DEB.gif

ACF2944.gif

This is one of my Raw coins.

45SOR.jpg

45SRR.jpg

and a PCGS MS67 45S Merc

45SO.jpg

45SR.jpg

Ken

You guys aren't really serious are you? I was JOKING and I thought Fairlaneman was being factious. Sorry if I offended....I guess not everyone knows I don't take things too seriously on message boards. confused-smiley-013.gif

jom

I thought you were Dead Serious so that is why some more ugly, small, round disks designed by Adolph with a portrait of Elsie were inserted into the post. That is what you are talking about, I hope.

And just to keep you unhappy because these things are being shown....Here is another one.

24POR.jpg

24PRR.jpg

And just to make sure there is no mis-understanding about this post here is a grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif or three.

Ken

348282-25PR.gif.c08c8f9c8017410c8d611c210ea6ae2f.gif

Now that makes complete sense. Gold does not tone the way silver does. I've been trying to learn about gold before I make the plunge financially.

ps. If you are really interested in selling, PM me with a list and prices!

You are correct though it does tone to a certain degree, just look at jom's coins (if you can look past those horrific designs 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifhi.gifflowerred.gif). If you are new to gold, I would highly recommend buying only certified coins at first since there tends to be more counterfeit gold out there than other coins. In addition some series are almost impossible to grade (my hat's off to jom again, since I find the Indian half and quarter eagles to be the hardest US series to grade bar none). Also, you should consider buyng a book devoted to the series that interests your, I recommend the Akers book for 20th century gold (though I just got mine) or the Bowers book for earlier series.

Now as for my toned coins, what series are you interested in? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Fairlaneman,

My apologies. I didn’t think anything about your first post after reading it, but after reading your second, I thought you were referring to the posts that I made, and Jom replied to. One of the problems with the board is you can’t always tell what someone really meant from reading their post. tonofbricks.gif

John

Jom,

I knew you were joking, and so was I in the first part of my reply to you. The second comment was not directed to you at all, so at least you did not offend me. thumbsup2.gif I don't about anyone else. confused-smiley-013.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

John

I knew you were joking, and so was I in the first part of my reply to you

I've talked to Fairlaneman a number of times about his Mercs and I think he knows I used to collect them. At this point I'm not sure if anyone is offended...I'm at a loss... blush.gif

Now as to Jtryka's comment about incuse designs: What kind of loser likes Saints anyway? St. Gaudens' mother wore army boots! mad.gif893whatthe.giflaughy.gif

jom

EDIT: FLM's 45-S is perfect if you ask me (the 67). Just enough tone around the rim and still white in much of the coin. Here's a great example of what I was talking earlier about strike. It is a non-FB coin and I'd rather have it than say a white FB example of that same coin.