• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FINALLY.

10 posts in this topic

This is a coin that I've sent in 3 times to get it into the slab I believe it should reside in; MS65FBL. I bought this coin about 15 - 20 years ago, when it was in an old Fatty NGC MS65 slab. Two or three years ago I sent it in to NGC for a designation review, figuring it would be a slam dunk FBL. It did NOT get the designation which really pissed me off. (Take a look at the 3rd image).

I just found out the results to sending in 5 NGC coins for crossover to PCGS (all that was left from my 8 "free" submissions). The one I was most interested in was this 1949-D in NGC MS65. This was my second attempt at an NGC to PCGS crossover and it's finally got the grade that IMO it should have had in the first place. PCGS tends to be tougher on dark toned Franklins for whatever reasons, so in the first go around it would have gotten a 64fbl, but as I kept it in the slab they DNC'ed it the first time. Anyhow, this go around they MS65FBL'ed it. WAHOOO!!! FINALLY. IMO this coin is FULLY deserving of the MS65FBL grade.

49dms65-1Sm.jpg

49dms65-5Sm.jpg

49dms65-6Sm.jpg

Of course I'm not telling you anything you don't know here, Sy, but that coin is very nice. Multicolored toning on the 49-D is rare. I don't know why NGC didn't give you FBL on that one, it looks good from the pictures. There is slight weakness in the top lines left of the bell, but the lines appear to be all there in my opinion.

Excerpt from my registry set:

The 1949D is considered one of the key dates of the Franklin series, especially in FBL. Its low mintage of 4.1 million is offset by the fact that it is usually very well struck, meaning that a larger percentage than normal is FBL. The biggest problem facing the 1949D is bag marks: these coins were treated very harshly and are often a few marks away from gem. This makes finding MS-65 examples of the 1949D very difficult. Appealing toning is “extremely scarce” on this issue, according to Tomaska. If they are toned, it is usually the dull grey and brown typical of mint sets. Luster on the 1949-D is generally below average, which Ehrmantraut says limits the number of gems.

Thank you guys for the nice comments! Jason, I like all the extraneous data you've put in your Franklin set.