• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rev on facing front

6 posts in this topic

While looking at a post selling some toned coins I noticed many of them have the reverse on the front of the slab.

While most of the ones that had the rev facing the front you could easily see why someone would want the coin facing the front.

My question is who decieds when the rev faces the front? Is it the submitter or NGC?

Also if it is NGC and the rev is so special to make a point of having it facing front do you think it should be a STAR?

Is it the submitter or NGC? Both

You can request it but I know that sometimes NGC does it without the submitter asking for the service.

I think that NGC only does it to show off the color and maybe doesn't deserve the star. There are some coin that have exceptional color appeal but don't have the exceptional eye appeal.

You would think that a reverse holdered coin would have a star, but they don't always, and I agree with NGC's decision not to award every reverse facing coin with a star. I own at least two of these non star reverse facing coins. In both cases, the coin has incredible toning that is just too deep to get a star. Here is an 1887 Morgan Dollar NGC MS64.

MorganDollar1887NGCMS641875422-005O.jpg

MorganDollar1887NGCMS641875422-0-1.jpg

The obverse of this coin is blast white and not very interesting at all. I am very happy that NGC decided to have the incredible reverse facing forward.