• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Question (Seated Dollars)

11 posts in this topic

Once again, a trivia question about my favorite series...

The Seated Dollar series has a number of dates that can be considered as type coins. Of these, one of these quickly stops being a type coin once it reaches the strong MS63 grade.

Which one is this?

Prize: a beer, on me, when we're next at a show together.

EVP

BTW, I posted this because I saw Roadrunner signed on right now. I figure he may like a crack at this! (Since I can't compete with him on any of the other Seated denominations!)

EVP

EVP, my knowledge of seated dollars is rudimentary at best. Even the 59-0 and 60-0 might be considered tough once you hit the 64 level. The P mint dates in the 40's the same thing. As a rule for the quarters and halves in the 1840's most dates are tough approaching gem condition. Probably same for dollars.

I consider the 1871 and 1872 type coins. And probably the 59-0 and 60-0 also. But I think the 1870 gets lumped in with these guys when it is tougher in choice condition. My vote is for the 1870. There was a nice expose done on these back around 1989 in the CDN monthly and I reread it 2 months ago. It gave the 1870 a rating of 1.6 in choice UNC. Whereas the 60-0 was the base data at a 1.00 rating. The next most common dates were at 1.10. That was nice to hear since I had just purchased a nice 1870 dollar in choice unc for pretty close to "type."

Roadrunner

RR,

I'm happy to hear that you got an 1870 for type money. That's just another example where the conventional price guides are completely out of whack with reality.

The 1870 is not a type coin in ChMS, not even acording to you.

Another try? Anyone else?

The correct answer is one that truly is a type coin, but its status as that quickly diminishes once it reaches the ChMS level.

EVP

The pricing in CDN for the 59-0 is no different than the most common dates. While it is a rare coin in 65 grade I don't think it's anything truly special in 64 grade.

The PCGS pops show it to be much better in 64 than common. The NGC census shows it to be one step tougher than common. Who's right? Maybe the NGC census has a bunch of dupes. Since I do not see many seated dollars I have to rely on the sometimes questionable pop to give me an idea. I just know that most any seated dollar except the treasury release dates is tough in 64. Honest CH UNC seated dollars with full luster and no rub, they're tough.

roadrunner

PCGS's price guide (for what that's worth) suggests that of the common dates ($1,000 in AU), the 59-O is double the price of the others at MS-63. Numismedia's guide shows the same price leap, but not until MS-64.

for what that's worth

Don't get me started on this!!!

lol!

Keith, you're going to have to remind me about the beer. I don't keep track. And, I plan on being at FUN for a week.

EVP

Actually, I think I'm up to 2 beers now, but won't be able to make it to FUN. No budget this year for coins, so will be passing. Maybe next year (2004) I can make it to Baltimore or FUN

Keith,

I go to the shows, when I can make the time, even if I don't have the budget for coins. I find that it's just nice to go. Plus, you never know if you can find a really good deal and then sell it for a profit!

It's also nice to hang out with friends. (But, I'll miss my dog!)

EVP