• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$5 Gold Modern Commemoratives -

6 posts in this topic

They are the same weight and fineness as the classical old time half eagles. According to Red Book they contain 0.24187 of an ounce of pure gold.

Yes a lot of dealers offer less than melt for the most common issues of these modern commemorative $5 gold pieces. And as long as sellers are willing to take that price, they will get away with it.

What I can't understand is why this is happening now. I was talking to a local Tampa, FL area dealer yesterday. He is paying $20 to $30 over melt for K-rands and selling them for $60 to $70 over spot. Time was a couple years ago I could only get $5 under melt from dealers who would buy them at all. (This thing about not buying seemed totally silly. Haven't the racial policies been fixed in South Africa?) At any rate if dealers are willing to pay over melt for K-rands, they certainly should be paying at least melt for these modern commemoratives.