• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on the new NGC edge view holders

10 posts in this topic

Ok, so there has been some debate, but looking at some of Greg's ancients in a thread in the world forum, a question came to me. How does NGC get the coins into the prongs? Are there two pieces and the coin is placed between them? In thinking about an ancient or a modern proof coin, having someone manhandle them into the prongs seems somewhat disturbing to me. Has this been discussed/revealed?

Ok, so there has been some debate, but looking at some of Greg's ancients in a thread in the world forum, a question came to me. How does NGC get the coins into the prongs? Are there two pieces and the coin is placed between them? In thinking about an ancient or a modern proof coin, having someone manhandle them into the prongs seems somewhat disturbing to me. Has this been discussed/revealed?

The white insert is flexible rubber. You bend the insert slightly and place the coin into the prongs, and when it springs back into place, the coin is locked in. Very simple.

Also, I don't find this news at all disturbing, as they had to put coins into the old inserts the exact same way...except the rubber insert scraped around the entire edge of the coin, all the way around, often leaving reeeding marks in the edge of the white gasket as proof of the intense friction between gasket and coin. Many richly toned coins have bright, fresh patched of metal along parts of their rims and edges from being squeezed into the old slab gaskets. With the new prongs, you just have 4 small presure points = much, MUCH safer on the coin.