• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A tribute to album toning!

8 posts in this topic

Ok, so maybe I am a closet toning fan, but here is a thread to share your naturally toned gems from your favorite album. I have a few, but I noticed in my Danscos, the best toning comes from the outside pages (first or last). This little gem was from a BU set of Roosies I bought about 10 years ago, they all started out white and most still are, but they put the 1965-67 SMS coins along with this 1981-S Type 2 proof (don't ask, I can't tell the difference) in the back page at the bottom, and that's where it's remained for the last decade. Despite it being base metal, the coin is developing the most wonderful blue and purple toning, particularly on the obverse, and these photos just cannot capture it. So post your favorite album toned gems!

78437.jpg.9b96f062111c2b61ec658bdcdf9f2c8e.jpg

78438.jpg.45590a7a8e1b62a0d8b1ca5b838e053f.jpg

Hello, Jeffrey. Thanks for sharing. (thumbs u

This is a proof Liberty nickel that I had conserved by NCS hoping for an UC grade. That didn't happen so I had cracked it out and placed it in my Dansco 7070 type album where it remained for 3 or 4 years. During that time, it took on the very sweet appearance to the obverse as seen below.

1887537-001O.jpg

the blues on the edge are awesome on that half Raybo! and Victor, please at least spell my name right! it's E-R-Y!!!

I would expect that the coins on the first and last sheets of an album as well as those coins on an outer edge of a page would tone the fastest and deepest due to increased air flow. Nice dime, by the way.