• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1963 5c error has NGC ID & grade

4 posts in this topic

I posted this nickel error on the forum a while ago and several of you IDed this coin correctly then.

Any ideas what something like this would be worth?

On a 1c planchet 3.14 grams--MS55---Strike Char brown

Goodobverse-1.jpg

GoodRev-1.jpg

I know the mid 1980's saw many of these errors minted, and they usually sell anywhere from $200. to $300. for mint state, slabbed examples.

Yours has one negative going for it along with a positive.

First, it is not mint state.

Secondly though, it is a better date for these types of errors.

I would think yours, in a fair auction, with the right eyes on it, would sell for the upper end of $250., give or take.

With the right eyeballs, that price could double. Without? Possibly a severe discount (due to overall eye appeal- or lack thereof as I don't see luster, nor should I really, too much on an AU coin).

Errors are a fickle beast. Right time, right place, they can be real money makers.

It is a scarcer date, although not "rare" in terms of nickels on cents. It might be double-struck as well, since it seems just a hair "large", although I doubt you could be absolutely certain of its being double-struck. I would estimate it to be worth a solid $250 wholesale, and upwards of $350 retail.

Sincerely,

Jon