• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll time, boardsters

What is your typing ability  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What is your typing ability

20 posts in this topic

Maybe a little off topic but, with a stretch, we can fit it in.

I intentionally took typing in the ninth grade, long before personal computers mind you. I tell ya, that was the most useful class of them all, even better than underwater basket weaving, I think. It was 1979 if you're curious.

I learned to touch-type on an IBM Selectric™ in Mr. Bosworth's class many moons ago. To stress the importance of proper posture while typing, he kicked us in the shins when we slouched. Hard.

Dang, Lou, that's harsh! They're shor-ah strict way up der in Maine. Just imagine how they treat flatlanders! hm

Gee... you had an IBM Selectric? We had those new fangled Royal Electric Typewriters that jammed every few keys if you typed too fast. That was in 1974 when I was in the 8th grade. Little did I know that typing would be part of my profession! :o

Scott :hi:

I was never taught how to type, but learned just by watching others and reading the occasional "learn to type" book, and can touch type pretty well. The problem is that as a computer programmer, the syntactical peculiarities and use of weird symbols have taught me bad habits, and though I can type quickly, my results are always fraught with errors!

By the way, there's a direct connection between typing and coins for me. I do my cataloging in WordPad, and typing fairly quickly is important. So, I see no off-topic problems here.

I USED to be a competent touch typist--I paid my college tutition typing other people's papers. After several years of working on several different computers daily--each with a different feel to the keyboard--it is unusual if I get through a post without a mistake.

By the way, I didn't make it through this one, either. :(

Here at work, they used to have a program to help.... Mavis Beacon? Something like that. Anyhow, it was quite entertaining watching some people learn how to type. Trying to avoid the bugs hitting the screen, moving their chair... acting like Michael Jordan with tongue hanging out... you may think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

I also took personal typing in the ninth grade. Our class had more manual than electric typewriters at the time. It has been very beneficial going through school and in the professional world. One of the better skills I picked up in high school.

never did much typing bought my wife a Smith Corona automatic 12 electric type writer in think it was 1969 .Still have it covered in dust in the garage .Didn't have the wife after 2002 .Had the use of a secretary before I retired in 2003 .Don't miss the work that much but do wish I could have kept the secetary .I use two fingers with alot of spell check if it's important .This isn't important so it is what it is .

I'm not a bad typist, but my brain messes me up in two ways. First, I’m mildly dyslexic when causes me to reverse letters. Second, my brain works faster than my fingers, which often has me leaving out words.

For whatever reason, whenever I type the word "your", the "r" usually doesn't show up because, apparently, I just don't hit it hard enough even though it is a regular key board. Very weird but it happens more often than not.

I am a two/four finger pro!! I have never taken a class on typing and don't plan to

start now. I use a speaking program when I am using microsoft word.

I am a two/four finger pro!! I have never taken a class on typing and don't plan to

I tried one of those, and was not pleased. I found it was just as fast and more accurate to type the stuff myself.

I tried one of those, and was not pleased. I found it was just as fast and more accurate to type the stuff myself.

The program works much better for me!! It would take me almost an hour to type a single paper and with the program I can do it about 15 minutes!!