• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some help with an 1889-cc. Is it counterfeit?

62 posts in this topic

Fake. Hope you can get your money back.

Thanks, I hope so as well, but the "reputable" seller has not responded to any of my emails. Guess their promise of 14 day return policy may not mean anything. I'm mad now. Seller is silverdollarsales53inc, on eBay, with 2304 100% positive feedback.

Get their phone number through Ebay contact information and call them. Be polite, but firm. Hopefully you went through Paypal and a credit card was involved. If so, make sure you file a dispute within the time and precise manner required. And the 14 day return policy should mean a great deal, as you wont have to even show that the coin is a counterfeit.

Thanks, I hope so as well, but the "reputable" seller has not responded to any of my emails. Guess their promise of 14 day return policy may not mean anything. I'm mad now. Seller is silverdollarsales53inc, on eBay, with 2304 100% positive feedback.

Hope you get your money back! It looks like a lot of the recent coins sold had their images taken on the hood of this persons car. In one of the images I can see what appears to be a tractor in the background. I'm surprised by how many people were buying uncertified multi-hundred dollar coins with such crudy images.

Get your money back and stick around the boards with us would be my suggestion...

MM I don't see how his comment will prove to be a problem. MH, file a dispute with eBay, PayPal and put a stop order on your credit card if need be. Be polite, but if that does not get anywhere, get in his face until you get your money back. It is unfortunate when things like this happen, but I've had 3 different returns I've made in my collecting experiences, and all proved to reach a happy conclusion (for me at least).

WJ that's close in my mind, but I don't think that's it. If you look on the neck, I don't see the "M" in the eBay listing but do clearly on the forum coin...granted, that might just be the scale of the pictures...

The eBay listing also seems to have less detail. Nonetheless I'm convinced that eBay listing is just as counterfeit as this one...just doesn't look right, at least in those photos.

He finally replied yesterday and said he would accept a return, and its in the mail. I hope he makes this right for me.

The auction link posted by MM is not mine. Here is the link to my auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260389596498

Hard to believe he can get away with this and reatain 100% feedback, yet, I can't really give him negative if he refunds my money, and I'm not 100% sure its a fake. So he is free to continue this practise. Feel sorry for those that fall for this. This incident has really taken a lot of the fun out of collecting coins, Morgans in particular, and I really need to go back and look at what I have, as far as being genuine. This is really the first coin I have handled which set off alarms though.

Looking at some of the other completed auctions, that seller sold a few 81-CC and 85-CC dollars that look questionable at best.

I bet he/she knows that some of these are Chinese fakes and took the telephoto lense out to cover their arse.

its a seller to stay away from...keep that in mind. MH don't be discouraged by one novice collecting mistake. I have bought countless "retoned" Lincolns that were bagged from PCGS, and two 22 plains that came back as altered as well. Eventually you learn to distinguish the pieces that just don't look right. Even some slabs don't look right, don't by the slab, buy the coin. And look into the coin, not at it

I can't really give him negative if he refunds my money, and I'm not 100% sure its a fake.
If he re-lists it immediately after getting it back from you, without mentioning the counterfeit possibility/probability, I'd sure consider leaving negative feedback.

This incident has really taken a lot of the fun out of collecting coins, Morgans in particular, and I really need to go back and look at what I have, as far as being genuine. This is really the first coin I have handled which set off alarms though.

Don't let it get you down too much. Only may be 5% of the collecting experience is negative like this, meaning 95% is completely enjoyable!

Also, I'd be happy to go through your coins anytime for you if it would help address authenticity concerns. Many dealers would likely be willing to do the same.

This guy did not have 100 % positve feedback :

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=silverdollarsales53inc&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home

FYI – That is a lousy looking counterfeit.

The last negative on that seller's account came last September for selling a fake 1889-CC Morgan dollar. hm

I purposely did not say anything about that to see if anyone picked up on it :- )

I posted this auction to the EBAY coin Fraud group , this seller should be a NARU soon, well maybe not considering how lax EBAY is to really dealing with this stuff.

It's amazing how many sellers will resell something that comes back as a counterfeit. :censored: As to Mark's remarks about getting rid of the seller, with the mass exodus recently over fees, Ebay won't NARU someone unless it's in their best interest. Ebay has become totally one-sided . . . their side! (tsk) That's why it's important to do the legwork first, then to only buy coins with clear quality photos, unless you can afford costly mistakes. I can't afford to pay attention so I sure as heck can't afford to pay top dollar for a counterfeit. ;)

I vote it's a counterfeit, hands down! ^^

Ribbit :)

I posted this auction to the EBAY coin Fraud group , this seller should be a NARU soon,

If he is NARU, what would be his motivation for issuing me a refund? I would have waited until after I got my money back to start filing fraud complaints

MH if he's NARU, eBay or PayPal will be who you go through, but you may have to actually send the coin to a TPG first just to get the counterfeit bodybag as proof. I'd put a stop order on your credit card, and list the item as disputed with your card company, so you won't be held liable either way.

MH if he's NARU, eBay or PayPal will be who you go through, but you may have to actually send the coin to a TPG first just to get the counterfeit bodybag as proof. I'd put a stop order on your credit card, and list the item as disputed with your card company, so you won't be held liable either way.

Coin has been sent back to the seller for refund. Paid with PayPal.

I do not think he needs to send it to a TPG for proof that the coin is counterfeit. He could take this into a local coin dealer or it can be as simple as the buyer determining that the coin is fake for a refund. There is already enough evidence that this seller has attempted to sell this coin once before and it was returned as a counterfeit. I would return the coin to the seller but first file a Pay Pal claim and notify your credit card company just in case. Then if I was the buyer I would notify the postal authorities.

I'm confused. Why aren't these negatives and neutrals displayed when I click on the sellers rating tab in eBay? At least one of those was within the last year, so it should have been listed in the negatives within last 12 months.

Thanks for cluing me in on the toolhaus website :-)

I'm confused. Why aren't these negatives and neutrals displayed when I click on the sellers rating tab in eBay? At least one of those was within the last year, so it should have been listed in the negatives within last 12 months.

Thanks for cluing me in on the toolhaus website :-)

I am not sure why that negative did not show up in EBAY. I found that odd myself.