• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not sure where to ask this.. need to preserve a medallion

7 posts in this topic

Is there a slab size limit? Coin size limit? Figured I would ask here first. I have a medallion. Its rather large but it has tremendous family significance. If I am not mistaken it was produced at West Point and was presented to my parents there. Its basically a personal memorial for a member of my family. If it was damaged or lost the rest of my family would have my head. I don't want to put in a safe deposit box or a safe. Its not intended to be put up. Its about the size of a tangerine and rather heavy. Im not sure if its made of bronze or brass. Its starting to show signs of wear from people looking at it. I'm thinking of having it encased or slabbed as to preserve it for future family members and to prevent any kind of damage to it. I also want to display it after the fact. Is there any self slabbing products I should look for? Does NGC or anyone else do such preservation? Its something that can't be screwed up or damaged.

Humm where do I post or who do I ask to find out. This particular medallion.. My avatar will not be shipped anywhere. I can't run the risk of anything happening to it. I just want a holder at this point. Is there a place online that sells such things?

Another possibility is a custom holder from Capital Plastic. They can handle the large size and can accommodate unusual thicknesses if needed. The holder won't be airtight but it will be very tough and lass liable to damage if dropped. It won't be cheap though. It does have the advantage that you can give them the specifications and they will ship the holder to you. The medal need never leave your possession.