• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New (to me) Capped Bust Half Dime

4 posts in this topic

I was fortunate to have this coin offered to me by a fellow collector who knew what it was. The coin is an 1830 LM-1.1 capped bust half dime. The Logan-McCloskey reference states that the 1830 LM-1 die marriage is an R-4 (which I agree with). The reference also states that the 1830 LM-1.2 (a later die remarriage) is scarcer than the 1830 LM-1.1 represented here -- and I disagree with this contention. In fact, most of the people who collect capped bust half dimes passionately also disagree and consider the 1830 LM-1.1 to be far, far more rare than the 1830 LM-1.2. Personally, I consider the 1830 LM-1.1 to be an R-7. I don't think I will get too much disagreement on that estimate. I tend to believe that there may only be a handful, at most, of coins that can be verified to be 1830 LM-1.1 (circulated coins lose their fine die cracks and can't be verified as the earlier die remarriage).

Anyway, here it is. Images by Mark Goodman

1830lm1-1comp.jpg

I also don't know anything about these (but I'll quickly agree with Shane that this one is gorgeous!) Is that a weak strike and is that typical of this series/issue/marriage?

I also don't know anything about these (but I'll quickly agree with Shane that this one is gorgeous!) Is that a weak strike and is that typical of this series/issue/marriage?

yes, that is a weak strike! The more I learn about the die marriage and the earlier remarriage, the more I am convinced that it is a typical strike.

Some supporting evidence:

Here is a late die state 1830 LM-1.2 with weak strike

1830lm1-2cudcomp.jpg

Here is a mint state 63 1830 LM-1.2. The strike is weak on the obverse especially, and just a tad weak on the reverse in the same places (eagle neck and left wing)

1830lm1-2comp.jpg