• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copyright PHOTOS of a coin ... NGC's policy

25 posts in this topic

I looked up a coin in NGC's new look up and it had pictures.

I tried the right click and it said the picture was copyrit by NGC ...

I own the coin - do I not own all the rights to the coin ..pictures and all.

Or is there a loophole for pictures or something ...

If NCG took the photo, or even if you took it and provided to them, their terms of use say they own it. Same for PCGS.

Welcome to corporate reality.

PS: You don’t own your personal information either – it’s being sold daily to the highest bidder by data mining companies. All you get is junk mail, phone solicitations and spam – and identity theft.

I tried the right click and it said the picture was copywrit by NGC ...

I believe that they can copyright their images if they so choose. Now as far as "copywrite" goes - I'm not sure what that is. ;)

I tried the right click and it said the picture was copywrit by NGC ...

I believe that they can copyright their images if they so choose. Now as far as "copywrite" goes - I'm not sure what that is. ;)

HA HA

NO, They are taking picture to help protect the buyers.

If you want the picture simply pay the $3 fee and it all yours!!

The primary purpose of these security images is to deter tampering with, counterfeiting, or otherwise manipulating an NGC holder. Today the image archive accessible through this tool includes pictures of nearly 1,000,000 NGC-certified coins.

To achieve large scale image capture without having an impact on turnaround times and cost of services, NGC selected a technology platform created by Massachusetts-based Image Fortress. The implemented software also creates a unique fingerprint of every image that can be used to identify an alteration or modification to NGC’s images.

NGC may have disabled the right click but almost everyone knows there is still another way to get the pictures. I will not steal the image because I believe that NGC is doing a great thing for the coin collecting community!!

Thanks NGC (thumbs u

hm

This picture thing will probably delay my 55 reholders if they are gonna take pictures of all of them aye

5 days Yeah right heheh

I asked them permission to use the pictures ( I am already using them ) although mine are better :) ... I asked them to let me know if they would like me to delete them ... we will see how strict they are on this policy.

I expect them to deny my request and poof they will go away ...

If you want the picture simply pay the $3 fee and it all yours

I am sure the $3 has nothing to do with the images in the Serial number look up - Its for close up pictures of the coin I believe Not Holder Images.

I may be wrong ( I usually am :) ) lol

I wonder how they handle so many images. How many people just on imaging?

After the initial set up is done it probably does not take to long.

I wonder how they handle so many images. How many people just on imaging?

After the initial set up is done it probably does not take to long.

I wonder if they use a double sided scanner!!

It's single data entry; populating the dB, retrieval, etc. require almost no extra work and are more than covered by the extra revenue.

I tried the right click and it said the picture was copyrit by NGC ...

I cant imagine wanting the NGC picture. I have not seen a single image that wasn't fataly under-exposed. None of them are at all flattering, and some may prove useless for purposes of identification because they are so dark... :sumo:

Warning SPAM

Saves time when doing an auction - I dont know if they are all this way but they are just slab pictures. I was usuing them to augment some additional picturing for an auction as I usually use close up pictures.

These are the pictures of my coin in the Serial number lookup - as you see nothing spectacular. It is an additional picture to mine which is the second picture.

77585.jpg.4ce14cb8079dac0bf8f3a9d73695e2c0.jpg

77586.jpg.a5bc5855bcc3bba799081543447099d5.jpg

Yes, they can take a photo of my coin and copyright it. However, I can take a screen shot of my coin displayed on my screen and copyright that, and now I own that picture. It works both ways.

Now, if I did the "save picture", that would be their image, but a screenshot would not be the same bytes, therefore would not hold up in court as a copied duplicate image.

I bet nobody would even try to contest it anyway, as this type of stuff is common as dirt.

MM

If you want the picture simply pay the $3 fee and it all yours!!

The $3 might get you a copy of the picture, but i bet it doesn't give you the rights to it. They still own them. It's like if you go to a photographer and pay him to take your portrait, and then pay for the portrait of yourself. The photographer still owns the copyright to that portrait. and you legally can not have a copy made of it.

you would think they would make them as clear as posable. but the one for the lookup is dark and very hard to see.