• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inspired by Signs of Life Coin (Leopold I)

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Inspired by recent signs of life over here in the world coin why not post another coin to keep the momentum going!

Here is a 1682 Austrian 6 Kreuzer coin from the Vienna mint, KM1856:

344999-6.jpg

Leopold I (the Hogmouth), featured on the obverse, coins are about as common as 300+ year old coins get, but this one stands out for its high level of preservation. The reverse has my all time favorite coin design of the crowned double headed Imperial eagle with regalia, and the shield on the eagles breast determines the mint. The legends are "LEOPOLVS DG RISA GHB REX" = "Leopold, by the Grace of God, Roman Emperor Ever August, Germany Hungary Bohemia King" and "DVX B CO TVR ARCHID AVS" = "Duke of Burgandy, Count of Tirol, Archduke of Austria"

There may be just the slightest bit of rub below the denomination on the obverse, but other than that as struck. This coin may very well find its way to NGC in the near future!

I posted this guy across the street and received my usual three or four replies, perhaps we can do better here, as always, comments are welcome!

-JamminJ

I thought the 1673 Leopold with the Madonna and Child was real cool. cool.gif

Shhh, I'm saving that for tomorrow's thread!crazy.gif

-JamminJ

OK, here's the Hungarian 6 krajczar counterpart to the Austrian coin above, Kremnitz mint, KM 164:

345696-1.jpg

While not officially part of the Holy Roman Empire, Hungary shared a common sovereign with the Empire since the death of their last home grown king, Louis II, at the battle of Mohacs in 1526. The amount of integration of Hungary with the Empire waxed and waned over the following centuries, but the common sovereign remained until the final dissolution of the Austrian empire in 1918.

As for the coin, Leopold again appears on the obverse (with the same legend) but the reverse is quite different with the standard Hungarian Madonna and Child. This coin shows some definite ear on the obverse, particulary Leopold's hog mouth, nose and lauriate wreath. The coin is slightly convex to the reverse partially protecting the devices with wear just on the two faces. Overall a pretty good AU in my opinion.

I bought these two coins together. It was a very good day!

Comments are welcome.

-JamminJ

You just wait til my insurance check gets here JamminJ and I get my replacement camera wink.gif Then I'll have some new pics to share shocked.gif

Nice coins by the way grin.gif

Meanwhile - this'll have to do smirk.gif

1860%20Hamburg%20ducat.jpg