• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got *SPOON* at CRO!

13 posts in this topic

Literally!

This is a spoon crafted by Ephraim Brasher, silversmith, goldsmith, and buddy of George Washington, in the late 18th century. I probably cannot afford any coins struck by Brasher, but the *spoon* makes a nice complement to my colonial coin, medal, and token collection. Sorry for the lousy picture. The "EB" is clear as mud near the base of the spoon.

77319.jpg

It looks a lot like this up close:

0986_3_lg.jpg

Now, where I can I get this thing slabbed... ;)

Robert, could you please re-post the image without that modern copper in the background - that spoils it for me! :devil: Otherwise, congratulations on a cool item. ;)

Would that be called a Brasher doubspoon? :)

Ok, I guess that is reaching pretty far for a joke. :blush:

Your reflection makes you look sort of like Frankenstein's monster. :eek:

Would that be called a Brasher doubspoon? :)

Ok, I guess that is reaching pretty far for a joke. :blush:

Your reflection makes you look sort of like Frankenstein's monster. :eek:

That's actually the reflection of the tripod. ;)

That does not appear to be Brashers hallmark.

There was another goldsmith/assayer/regulator active at that same time who also used an EB hallmark. I can't remember his name at the moment.

dooly,

Actually, if the spoon is from around 1780, then it's much more likely that it was made from melted-down Spanish colonial coinage, which was a lot more common in the Colonies than English coins.

I was under the impression that Brasher used his same hallmark punch on the coins he regulated and on the doubloons he made. (Both Lima and New York Style) On the cons his hallmark is on an oval background. The other EB's hallmark was on a rounded cornered rectangular background like the one used on the Spoon

I was under the impression that Brasher used his same hallmark punch on the coins he regulated and on the doubloons he made. (Both Lima and New York Style) On the cons his hallmark is on an oval background. The other EB's hallmark was on a rounded cornered rectangular background like the one used on the Spoon

I am familiar with the Brasher doubloons stamp but I am pretty sure he used a different one on his silver from that era....that's not to say he was the only one using EB and since we haven't seen a close up of the mark on the OP's spoon......it could be anyone??? (shrug)

Maybe the actor Ed Bagley Jr ???:o

saint-elsewhere.jpg