• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof nickel or MS gold?

19 posts in this topic

I really like the Indian/Buffalo nickel design. I like proofs of all kinds. I recently purchased a gold buffalo but kinda wish I had a proof rather than a mint state. The brilliant proof Buffalo nickels are just awesome.

1937-buff-o.jpg

buff-o.jpg

You talking proof gold, or classic original proof nickel? Cause that's a no brainer hands down take the classic, rare, hard to find, choice proof over modern bullion any day.

You talking proof gold, or classic original proof nickel? Cause that's a no brainer hands down take the classic, rare, hard to find, choice proof over modern bullion any day.

I agree!! You can't beat those classic proof Buffalo's. The early ones (pre 1936) are rare compared to modern proofs and you have to love the character.

That's how I feel. I bought the first gold proof Buffalo from the mint but traded it soon after for a type coin. I'd love to have any proof Buffalo whether brilliant or satin!

The Proof nickel would be at the top of my list followed by the Proof Buffalo gold coin. The Proof Buffalo gold is a very attractive piece and FAR nicer than the Mint State version of the same design.

The only attraction to the Mint State versions of modern gold coins is that sometimes, especially in the case of commemorative coins, the mintages are lower. For that reason some people pay very high prices for some issues. The low mintages are, of course, a reflection of collector preferences. Collectors as a group prefer the Proof coins and order more of them.

I have a NGC PF66 1937 proof set with a Buffalo proof. I've always loved this set with the Mercury dime and Walking Liberty Half in it. However, when I saw the new Bullion coins I fell in love with them and had to have one - I ended up buying the 2008 set of the 4.

I was cooling off on coins in general but when (I discovered) the mint was re-issuing all the designs that I always loved, the St Gauden's (a Ultra High Relief specimen no less), American Buffalo, Walking Liberty (the silver bullion coin) and someday I hope the Standing Liberty and Mercury dime designs will be so honored.

Just wanted to mention to you hard core guys that this kind of thing brings these designs to the forefront and introduces them to a new public.

That can't be bad for the coin genre.

I have a NGC PF66 1937 proof set with a Buffalo proof. I've always loved this set with the Mercury dime and Walking Liberty Half in it. However, when I saw the new Bullion coins I fell in love with them and had to have one - I ended up buying the 2008 set of the 4.

I was cooling off on coins in general but when (I discovered) the mint was re-issuing all the designs that I always loved, the St Gauden's (a Ultra High Relief specimen no less), American Buffalo, Walking Liberty (the silver bullion coin) and someday I hope the Standing Liberty and Mercury dime designs will be so honored.

Just wanted to mention to you hard core guys that this kind of thing brings these designs to the forefront and introduces them to a new public.

That can't be bad for the coin genre.

(thumbs u :applause: (thumbs u :applause: (thumbs u

<

That can't be bad for the coin genre. >>

I agree.

I wish I had bought a proof Gold Buffalo (rather than the MS) for the reasons Bill mentions. I also miss my proof Buffalo nickel (pictured in the first post). That was one of the first expensive coins I bought back in the '90s.

The UHR Saint is a very nice coin. I do love the heft of gold and platinum coins. But I agree with the majority that the Proof nickel is the more collectible coin.

Like they say, you can't beat the genuine article.

But for those who can't afford a proof Buffalo, a fractional gold proof is, well, a fraction of the cost.

From a collectability standpoint, the obvious answer is the Buffalo Nickel. These aren't exactly scarce by my standards but though the gold coin looks nice, its as common as the sand on the beach.

Wow - that 1913 sure is a beauty. I always liked the Type 1 the best.

That 1914 is nice as well, and a decent price too hm