• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finds from Tynemouth flea market ? anyone from Chicago in the house ?

7 posts in this topic

Today I managed to get my butt out of bed early today (Sat) and popped down the coast to visit my local flea market to see if i could pick up any bargains up ..

I found a man selling a 1954 D half dollar, 1922 peace dollar and a 1883 S Morgan on one stall but unfortunately they had all been cleaned what a shame as the 1883 s was probably a MS before he had cleaned it and he only had £10 on it :censored:

there was also a stall who had over 20 1800 dollars and hundreds of Morgans at £2 each .... !!!!!! shame they were all FAKES !!! :censored:

My first pick up was a 1950 nickel in a 10p coin box which is a gap i have needed to fill in my dansco for a while now :applause:

Before conservation

1950.jpg1950r.jpg

After conservation

1950c.jpg1950cr.jpg

The next find was also in the 10p coin box and i found it interesting

illct.jpg

It is a picture of a young boy with a hat on in a gilded frame about the size of a large cent and interestingly some form of patent attached picture to a metal back which reads CHICAGO FERROTYPE CO - CHICAGO ILL impressed into the back can any of my USA friends shed light on this item ?

Taken out of the frame so i could scan it .

illpic.jpg

The reverse

ill.jpg

My last USA find was this 1972 D Half dollar picked up for a few pounds which has been enameled on both sides and placed in a silver hanger ? do you think i should remove it ?

1972.jpg1972d.jpg

It is a shame it is not a 1971 coin for my collection so i will either put it in my dansco or sell it on ebay (if it has any value) and scrap the silver what do you think is there a collectors market for these in the USA (shrug)

hope you liked the post and please feel free to comment

all the best the daft Englishman :devil:

That Ferrotype is very neat. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the company though.

It's a rip at 10p for sure......

Paul

Dooly, who and how was the Jefferson conserved. And, if you're collecting circulated Kennedys then I'd put that bad boy in my album. On the other hand, if you want mint state, blast white coins then it wouldn't fit. Thanks for keeping us entertained, Dooly. I even used the word "daft" in an email today. lol's

Dooly, who and how was the Jefferson conserved. And, if you're collecting circulated Kennedys then I'd put that bad boy in my album. On the other hand, if you want mint state, blast white coins then it wouldn't fit. Thanks for keeping us entertained, Dooly. I even used the word "daft" in an email today. lol's

I :) Did the conservation with a little Acetone

as for the kennedy I just collect what i find but not particulary purchase single coins, usually what i find in job lots

it is a great word "daft" it .. they should have named him Dafty duck instead of Daffy Eh! (thumbs u