• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superb toned gem uncirculated pan-pac commem half

20 posts in this topic

this coin is currently in an ngc ms65 holder and this coin is soooooooooo undergraded in the holder

it is an easy 66 coin any day of the week.

i have seen many pan-pacs with many bagmarks on the obverse and much less eye appeal than this coin in

65 pcgs holders!

it really amazes me how this coin is not a 66 but that is great in this holder as it is fantastic

for the end buyers!!

this current tightness from both ngc and pcgs!! this is better than being too loose!!!!!!!!

the obverse is for all intensive purposes is fully struck with the reverse the eagles top left breast feathers only

lightly

struck

there is on the reverse a slight reeding mark from the edge of another coin coming in contact with this coin

which is common.............. in the viewers right field

the obverse only has a couple of super tiny marks on the rays of the sun

the toning is superb both sides completely rim toned! to thick skinned original centers that are bronze golden

with blazing lustre

underneath the toning

an above average example in terms of toning for a pan-pac and great eye appeal

and for me a monster fantastic 65 that is a stone 66 in a 65 holder and a great example of an original coin with

a thick unbroken skin!!

the scan doesnot show the great color nor the monster lustre and look of this coin!!

but if you know these coins you can sort of extrapolate and of course

i have examined this coin from an eastern

collection in person and the above comments are my own thoughts on this above coin!

sincerely michael

64527-panpac65.jpg.98ba6dd9895227d7395c6e124fd7dd05.jpg

Okay, Michael - I'm third! WOW what a coin! Silky with excellent toning. This is a dream coin for me in that issue. Now, about my need for that coin......... blush.gifsmile.gifwink.gif

Hoot

Michael,

All I can say is wow !! I find the design of the Pan Pac to be very beautiful. Makes me want to go out and try to find one but it will have to wait until I finish my current series. Still can dream about it though.

Doug

Yes, the coin IS really nice, but you can't get carried away and start thinking that it's an MS-68. The sad truth about the PAN-PAC half dollars is that they were struck with indifferent luster and generally have a gray look to them. I don't know if NGC or PCGS has graded a Pan-Pac half in MS-68, but I would tend to doubt it. The coins just weren't made well enough to get to that level.

Remember very high grade coins had start life with superior luster and detail and then be given a lot of TLC. Contray to current jargin, MS-68s were born no made. grin.gif

Hi Bill,

We actually consigned a PCGS MS68 Pan Pac half to the Heritage pre-ANA sale, on behalf of a client. It was gorgeously toned but had a few obverse ticks on it. Despite those ticks, it brought $37,950, including the 15% buyer's premium.

PS - I'm hoping that with a few more posts, the discussion of Pan Pac halves might equal that of the cracked die, modern proof garbage that seems to get so much attention on this board. But, I'm dreaming, aren't I?

PS - I'm hoping that with a few more posts, the discussion of Pan Pac halves might equal that of the cracked die, modern proof garbage that seems to get so much attention on this board. But, I'm dreaming, aren't I?

I dream of a world without trolls.

BTW, does anyone collect original issue cases and envelopes for Pan Pacs?

I think they are really interesting pieces of Expo history, but they're usually too expensive for me to consider buying. And to think that auction houses used to throw them away!

Breen says most Pan Pac halves were mishandled, so that explains the huge number of impaired specimens.

thasnks for all tyhe great posts!!!!

and mark feld i agree with you!!

this coin also is unusual is that it has really nice lsutre and is not the usual grey coin you usually see!! and the rim toning which really cant be seen in this pgoto is royal blue and bronze really nice

bill jones hit the nail right on the head about the pan pacs!!

i would like to see more coin discussions on these boardfs about pre 1950 coinage and even pre 1920 coinage!!!!

hey it is worth a try! and please mark keep posting some great coins on here!!

sincerely michael laugh.gifgrin.gifwink.gifcool.gifsmile.gif keith dagen also great comments on the pan pac well said!!!!!! wow you guys are great on here!

Breen says most Pan Pac halves were mishandled, so that explains the huge number of impaired specimens.

Yeah, some guy got a hold of that reverse and made it really ugly before the Mint got a hold of it. tongue.gif