• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone got a spair $4,500 ?

6 posts in this topic

I think the coin is genunine, but it does have some scratches on the reverse and probably was buried in the ground for a while.

Here is the piece from my collection of the same variety. I used to call my coin "the Fine-15 Draped Bust, Small Eagle half dime on the planet" until it found it's way into a VF-20 holder. ;)

1797HalfDime16O.jpg1797HalfDime16R.jpg

... there is a small crease mark as can be seen to the reverse of the coin at the T and E in UNITED. Scott felt that this had happened when the coin was minted and condition was felt to be very fine.

The "crease mark" at the E in UNITED is a die break and it did occur at the Mint. The other "crease mark" at the T is just that, and such damage would be of post-mint origin. I think that Scott's words were unintenionally skewed in the description. It is a damaged coin and may have F to VF details.

That being said, most of these are damaged or low grade, and, overall, I like the coin. Just not at that price.

... there is a small crease mark as can be seen to the reverse of the coin at the T and E in UNITED. Scott felt that this had happened when the coin was minted and condition was felt to be very fine.

The "crease mark" at the E in UNITED is a die break and it did occur at the Mint. The other "crease mark" at the T is just that, and such damage would be of post-mint origin. I think that Scott's words were unintenionally skewed in the description. It is a damaged coin and may have F to VF details.

That being said, most of these are damaged or low grade, and, overall, I like the coin. Just not at that price.

The following is a similar coin with an auction price without damage and may guide buyers to avoid purchase.

1797 H10C 16 Stars Fine 15 NGC. V-4, LM-2, R.4. Sales price $3105 May 2007 (Heritage Auction)

Yes, looking at this particular coin.......and looking at a stack of 45 hundred dollar bills......

It's a no brainer...........

Paul