• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dahlonega Gold Museum ...is it worth a look?

3 posts in this topic

My dad is getting married on the 11th up in Helen, Ga which looks to be only about 10-15 miles from the Dahlonega Gold Museum. If anyone has been I would like to know if it's worth a look since I don't know if I will ever be up that way again? Anything else to do in Dahlonega as far as the branch mint that was there.....I am assuming there is nothing left of the mint but I figured I would ask the folks that know? hm

I visited there about ten years ago. There is a museum in the center of town that is well worth driving 20 miles to see. They have a nice complete set of Dahlonega gold coins although they are in a glassed in safe that does not allow you to get as close to them for examination as you might like. There are also some exhibits about the area’s history. Around the center of town are number of tourist oriented shops that are nice to walk through for the guys and maybe some interest to the ladies.

So far as the mint goes, it burned in 1878, but an administration building for the college that is there was built on the foundations. I found the building, if the mint was in fact in that footprint, the building was a bit larger than I imagined. Overall the trip is worth it given how close you will be.