• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where should I try to sell a 1951 1C NGC PF68 RD?

23 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the right section for this, but at least I know not to put it in the US Coins section. If it needs moved, please let me know.

I am thinking about selling off a few coins soon (have started taking some pics, but not quite ready yet). However, one of them is a 1951 1C PF68, pop 15 and a little pricey per Numesmedia, and was wondering where the best place to sell it would be? Would I be better off with one of the auction houses (i.e. Heritage, etc...) or trying the 'bay?

I figured since a lot of you guys sell quite a bit, you may have a better idea than I do.

Eitherway, when I do get things ready and posted, I will post something on the Marketplace board.

Thanks for the help!

I am only "cleaning up" and am not trying to raise quick $$$, so the time frame isn't too big of a deal...I am not in any hurry, but sooner is always better (at least in this case). :)

Is it in a PCGS or NGC slab? That makes a big difference price wise.

It is in a NGC coffin.

I have access to the Numesmedia price and census info (pop 15, 2 finer) but no access to the PCGS info.

Is there a huge difference at that high of a grade?

Thanks,

Eric

Is it in a PCGS or NGC slab? That makes a big difference price wise.

It is in a NGC coffin.

I have access to the Numesmedia price and census info (pop 1

5, 2 finer) but no access to the PCGS info.

Is there a huge difference at that high of a grade?

Thanks,

Eric

PCGS PR68 4, none higher. PCGS guide for this is $2750

PCGS PR67 90. PCGS guide is $300

Even though it is graded a 68 by NGC, there is a great chance that it wouldn't by PCGS. The prices quoted are for Red examples. If it were cameo the price would be 5 to 10 times more.

Thanks guys...I knew there were differences in price, but not that much!

Guess I need to subscribe to the PCGS side too so I can get more accurate pricing.

BTW, it is RD so the prices are good for me to compare and try to understand the differences between NGC and PCGS.

Thanks again,

Eric

The PCGS price guide is FREE!!

True. Their census is not. NGC also charges a fee for numismedia pricing and for their census report.

The PCGS price guide is FREE!!

True. Their census is not. NGC also charges a fee for numismedia pricing and for their census report.

Incorrect. Numismedia values are free, you just have to join the club at the free level. PCGS price guide is free. Both charge for the census.

PCGS cenus is kinda free, just go to the cert lookup and type the cert # and you can find out how many are graded at that level and how many are higher and what the total pop is.

if the coin is ALL THERE then first you need to

crack submit and/or crossover to pcgs proof 68 red as if the coin is all there then a crack and submit raw will not be a problem for a proof 68 red if the coin is all there

then put in a heritage auction for maximum registry player exposure

as the registry plaYERS ARE THE ONES who will pay up for your coin via heritage

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if the coin is NOT all there for a proof 68 red then leave in the holder and offer/sell to selected registry players on the boards

or put in heritage auction and the coin will find its true level and you just might get a registry player that needs the points and will battle it out with another like minded individual

Don't even think about cracking that coin unless you're ready to gamble 3/4 of its value. You can try a crossover submission to PCGS but the odds are slim that it would cross, even if it is all there because of the NGC rivalry.

I'd suggest either ebay or teletrade to sell it. You should do pretty well, getting at least 80% of its numismedia value I'd guess. Good luck.

Don't even think about cracking that coin unless you're ready to gamble 3/4 of its value. You can try a crossover submission to PCGS but the odds are slim that it would cross, even if it is all there because of the NGC rivalry.

I'd suggest either ebay or teletrade to sell it. You should do pretty well, getting at least 80% of its numismedia value I'd guess. Good luck.

I agree.....crossing it over will be impossible even if the coin was a shot 69....pcgs is well known for not crossing nice coins from NGC holders at the same grade point simply becuase it would give the impression that NGC's grading is on par with theirs....I don't like it but that's the way the game is played.

I would sell it in the NGC holder..........

Thanks all...a lot of good info here!

Hell, I even learned that the PCGS price guide was free. :)

I will probably leave it in the NGC slab and go from there.

Thanks again!

Well, I think I am going to list it here on the boards first (would rather it go to a board member) and then I'll try ebay (let them bid it up over there...if it gets there of course ;) )

I'll try to get it posted later tonight when I can get to my computer and post my feeble pics.

Thanks again to everyone!

There is one coming to the Heritage 2009 April-May Cincinnati auction. It will interesting to see what it brings. It looks like the last one sold on Heritage was January 2005.

1951 NGC PF68 RD

There is one coming to the Heritage 2009 April-May Cincinnati auction. It will interesting to see what it brings. It looks like the last one sold on Heritage was January 2005.

1951 NGC PF68 RD

What a lousy picture!!

I'd be pretty ticked if Heritage "advertised" my coin like that.

(Unless it really looks that way :eek: )

After a pretty extensive search for you it will do $200- $250 :( - I think you should try to put it on Ebay to see if you can get a high BUY NOW bid. Below is the most recent I have found.( Not a good selling environment right now :( )

This coin is intriguing too as it is in the early holder so this coin may have had a Cameo upgrade possibility hmm

76942.jpg.f8a25fd126340c26e2427dcd62ef0ec4.jpg