• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Do Folks Think of the 2009 Quarters (DC & Territories)?

11 posts in this topic

In terms of what the value's going to do. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm fairly tired after 10 years of new quarters. I was planning on just keeping 42 of each (1 roll, 1 for type, 1 for date/mint) which I already think is somewhat excessive.

BUT .... has anyone seen the mintage figures on these? They're ca-ra-z low! DC has a total of 172.4 million, Puerto Rico 139 million. That is BY FAR the lowest for the last 11 years (I think I read somewhere it's the lowest since the '60s). Compare that with the first year of the state quarters which had a combined mintage from both mints of 4.43 billion coins - the lowest being NJ at 662.2 million. The absolute lowest mintage of the program was for Maine, with a P+D mintage of 448.8 million coins.

Now, I know that absolute numbers don't necessarily translate into rarities nor key dates. And one may wonder with a mintage of over 100 million how something could be considered "rare." But, with DC already completely sold out from the Mint, most banks saying the "State Quarters" program is over and they won't be requesting rolls of the new quarters, and the economy forcing people to sell common coins rather than hoard them, what do you folks think about these hackneyed modern "rarities?"

I think with sufficient marketing, enough dupes can be convinced that these are worth more than a buck or two. Anything with a mintage of 139 MILLION is not rare by any rational stretch of the imagination.

Even though I have a complete set of the state quarters with all proofs in a Dansco album, I will not be collecting them. I like the Puerto Rico design and bought one for $15 to keep my type set up to date but that's the only one I'm buying. I'm not even buying proof or mint sets any more. It's all, in my opinion, just a bunch of stuff cluttering up space with very little up potential.

I haven't even seen one yet (in circulation). I'm just going to do what I've been doing the past few years for moderns: buy a mint set, chop it up for the cents, nickels, and one set of quarters, and probably just sell the rest to whomever wants it.

I'll have a set in my mint and proof sets and that's all I'll be collecting of them. Looks like I'll have to tape them to the back of my dansco! lol

I haven't even seen one yet (in circulation).

Well... I cheated! I went to the US Mint's headquarters on 9th Street, NW in Washington, DC and purchased a few dollars of the quarters from the change machines in the lobby. Every time I have to visit a customer who has offices in the same building, I will feed a few dollars into the machines to have quarters to spend so I can do my part to get them circulating.

I have a meeting there next week. Maybe by then they will have the Puerto Rico quarters!

Scott :hi:

Ok, honor DC & the US Territories. I have no problem with that. But please do not use our coinage as advertising for National Parks, etc over the next several years. In my opinion this diminishes rather than enhances the hobby.

Next we will turn our dimes into tokens representing the top 100 metropolitan areas. Nickels could become the backdrop for infamous gangsters in US history while the lowly cent be given over to thrifty American inventors. The half dollar could be used to promote famous American industrialists, entrepreneurs or capitalists since this is a dying breed of people on a dead circulating coin.

Be nice.. Im new here and just putting in my 2 cents worth. Personally.. I like the variety.. The same ole thing is to boring to me. I like the artwork and skill that goes into the process of making and designing the coins. I'm not just collecting to sell I actually admire the beauty of the coins. To date I have not sold one coin. Also.. I think its a great idea about the parks. I'm sure there is going to be coins with parks I have never heard of. I think this would help promote tourism and help those parks.. From what I understand x amount of the sales goes to these parks. I know in my neighborhood our parks need all the help they can get in order for everyone to continue to enjoy them.