• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fivaz Cherrypick not in NGC Variety Plus

2 posts in this topic

Hi NGC..I have been accumulating old silver and recently pulled out my copy of David Lange's Guide to Mercury Dimes ... and a few hundred raw Mercury dimes. I spent a rainy afternoon straining my eyes looking for DDO's and RPM's...I actually found several that are pretty inconsequential...I did happen to find 2 that seemed a bit more significant.

Neither however are listed in NGC's Variety Plus..but they are listed in Mr Lange's book and the Cherrypicker Guide..

My question is, will NGC put the Fivaz # on the encapsulation and recognize it as a variety if they agree with my assesment? or do they only recognize the varieties listed on their webpages...thanks, Jackson

PS: Mr Lange, in case you were curious..one is simply the 1943-S large S RPM-1

The second coin is a bit more intriguing..a 1940-S which displays both the

RPM s/s/s as well as a distinctive Doubled Date...they are only XF/AU grade and I know that their value is miniscule..however it is still fun finding these varieties and then getting confirmation from the pros at NGC

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC does not use Fivaz/Stanton (FS) numbers for variety attribution. Both of these varieties are recognzied by NGC under our own numbering system of VP (VarietyPlus) numbers. Though I haven't seen the coin, I suspect that the date doubling on the 1940-S is simply strike doubling. This is so common on Mercury Dime obverses that it carries no premium.