• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

William IIII Shilling

12 posts in this topic

I ordered this one about a month and a half ago from a seller in Greece, and it just finally showed up today. This completes my shilling type set by monarch back to Queen Anne (1707), although I would like to get a Victoria Jubilee head eventually. Tell me what you think, what you'd grade it, and what you'd value it. There are traces of luster around some of the devices.

76466.jpg.be7f50e1fa0916b5d5592a1c15d56d3b.jpg

76467.jpg.072d598dbd3f40e50b22c5b68744ebce.jpg

im no good at grading the world but i sure like it. congrats on the finish of the set! what was the striking process back in that time?

tough call to grade..the obverse center may be just a flat strike ( kinda like the 1921 Peace $1)...the reason I thought this is because the reverse looks AU53/55...so that's my guess..let me know how I guessed if you send it in..

Fantastic coin..incredible details and wonderful preservation and color...I really like it a lot...great find

Sorry physics-fan3.14 but i think it will BB from the pictures ( could be well be better in the hand ) but there seems to be some cleaning scratches to the reverse and i am not to happy with the colour (shrug)

Remember this one .. came back as cleaned.. (would you believe it !!)

old084.jpgold083.jpg

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I can definitely believe that George III has been cleaned dooly, looks to have been dipped and retoned after improper rinsing.

I have no desire to submit mine for grading, my whole set is raw and I'm going to keep them that way. This one appears like it may have been gently wiped with a jewelers cloth, but that is the extent of the cleaning. I am very happy with the color on it - it is exactly what I have been looking for.

I paid $50 for this, which I think is an incredible deal. William IV seems to be the hardest monarch to get, especially a nice, mid range, lightly circulated example like this. I initially graded it EF, but I might revise that upwards.

Sorry i thought you were asking about grading.. i see now .. yep it is better than VF but not XF so your $50 was very well spent in my eyes .. more like £50 i would say in the current market (thumbs u

yes..I forget that the World coin definitions and grading are vastly stricter..

I was basing my judgement on the reverse design which is very similar to that of the US 3-cent nickel. On the US 3-center, light wear which is relegated primarily at just the leaf tips would be in the EF+/AU range...my experience with the 3-cent nickel has been that high definition of the leaf veins and center knot of the bow gets a pretty good grade...

I'll stick by what I said before...great details, nice preservation ( especially for an 1836)..and I also like the color.....

I've only had limited experiece in buying from European sources, but I find the grading descriptions used to be inconsistent. (And yes, I know they think the same about US grading standards.)

I have bought coins in public auctions and they have been described as "Good Very Fine", "XF" or "Good XF". The most recent GVF I bought and that I am waiting to receive is an 1892 South Africa Single Shaft Crown which I actually believe is an AU-55 or so based upon the image. (I also bought a similarly described coin from an Australian dealer on eBay that also graded NGC AU-55.) An XF I bought from the same source was graded NGC MS-61. The "XF or better" coins I bought from another source were anywhere from an NGC XF-45 to an NGC MS-62, though these were slightly larger group lots.

On your coin, the portrait is the only weak part or that has any wear, but its real noticeable. If it is the strike, I can see it as a technically graded AU but no better than a market grade VF.

Found this lot over at Heritage with several of this type in various grades. The Heritage cataloguer called the one closest to mine "about XF," which I have to assume means something like VF-35.

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=357&Lot_No=13696

I gave my opinion on the grade of your coin, but don't be so sure about the grades Heritage gives on group lots either. I bought an 11 coin lot from them last year and all of them were described as VF-XF. Some were problem coins but others ended up grading NGC MS-63.