• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your "deal killer?"

22 posts in this topic

You are at a coin show, or maybe you are looking at pictures of coins in an upcoming auction, and suddenly one in particular catches your eye. It has that look that you love. Maybe it is even one that you have been looking for diligently, for a long time. All of a sudden, you notice...The Flaw. So, you sigh, and move along.

What is the one problem on a coin that you simply can not live with? Hairlines? Rim nicks? A scratch on the device? Cleaning? Or is there something else that turns you off?

Scratches, hairlines and suspicious color are three that bug me.

I've seen some nice circulated coins in VF25-EF45 with scratches or hairlines that once I see them, that is all I see with the coin. It's initial attraction is gone and I won't be happy owning it. I've purchased a few and have always regretted it. Suspicious color is the same way on many coins. I'd rather walk away than regret buying it later.

I refuse to patronage a rude, arrogant or squirrelly seller even if they do have a nice coin, or a seller that I've had problems with in the past.

Also, problem coins are a big turn off.

I try to avoid raw coins that won't grade from the big 2. I'm passing on a very sweet looking circulated Boone primarily because of a rim bruise. Besides a friend wants it more than I do.

A white, circulated coin that is 100+ years old.

A white, uncirculated coin that is 100+ years old unless it has major in your face luster with a clean surface.

Obvious hairlines are an eye-sore but sometimes must be accepted on most PR63 coins.

I will sometimes cave in to an overpriced coin if it has the eye-appeal that I am looking for.

Also, problem coins are a big turn off.

I try to avoid raw coins that won't grade from the big 2.

A white, circulated coin that is 100+ years old.

A white, uncirculated coin that is 100+ years old unless it has major in your face luster with a clean surface.

I will sometimes cave in to an overpriced coin if it has the eye-appeal that I am looking for.

(thumbs u

Third tier slabs. Big turn off. I'll at least consider second tier slabs ( ANACS, ICG, DGS, SEGS, or the old green label PCI slabs). The others aren't worth my time to even look at.

Third tier slabs. Big turn off. I'll at least consider second tier slabs ( ANACS, ICG, DGS, SEGS, or the old green label PCI slabs). The others aren't worth my time to even look at.

Ditto!! I have lost money buying these coins, so I won't anymore!!

Also I only use my from my coin fund to buy coins and never use credit to purchase the coins!! So not having enough money is also a big deal!!

any type of gunk...I don't like little black spots or splotchiness, milky spots..hazy areas...

but the black gunk in the crevices of the design or in the dentils ( as is often seen on SLQ's for some reason)..turns me off fast..

My biggest turn off is the refusal of movement on the price on the ticket even a £1 will do ;)

(on high price coins that is)

There are two deal killers for me.

The first is a big scratch or a lot of scratches regardless of the grade. I hate scratches and marks!!! I'll trade smooth surfaces for luster any time if I'm buying in a lower Mint State grade (MS-63 or lower).

The second deal killer is "third world" certification holders. If it's not in a PCGS or NGC holder, I don't mess with it any more. I"ve been burned on grading and cross overs. If the coin is not in the holder I want, these days I pass. And usually when a coin is in a 'third world" holder, it's there for a reason.

corrosion, pvc damage, gouges (if scratches are small and old -- that's cool with me), stuff like that turns me away...unless it is a die marriage or die remarriage I need.