• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1942 Proof Lincoln Cent

17 posts in this topic

I knew as soon as I looked at the pics that it wasn't a proof, I deffinately doesn't have that look. The strike should be better and it should have sharp edges I think. Plus it should have a mirror finish.

I knew as soon as I looked at the pics that it wasn't a proof, I deffinately doesn't have that look. The strike should be better and it should have sharp edges I think. Plus it should have a mirror finish.

The Obverse pic is a tiny bit blurry.The reverse is better.Things is,the color looks alot like my lincolns in my 50's proof sets.a couple of them have mushy beards like this one too.But then the fields don't look right either.Still, what about an MS grade?

no mirrors

mushy strike

rounded rims

and many marks and scratches, from circulation or handling after striking that normally these proof coins from 42 rarely if ever have

poor strike in plavces where proof coina are usually well struck (obverse)

also the fields do not meet the devices at 90 degrees or close to it ESPECIALLY SO with the fields coming up to the rims

i guess it is hard for me to explain unless i got the coin and you both in front of me then i can show you ten points why it is not a proof

i grade the coin a really low ms unc. from the poor photo i cant guesstimate

GOOD TO ASK QUESTIONS ON THE BOARDS AS MANY are okie here and will try to help the best they can

Here is my 55 proof for reference. Sorry the pictures aren't the best.

You can see that both the inner and outer edge of the rims are sharp, and there is no mushiness to the strike at all. The mirrored surface does not come out well in these pics because it is still in the little mint baggie. Like Micheal said, it is deffinately good to ask these questions and we all love to help when we can. (thumbs u

IMG_0706.jpgIMG_0707.jpg

I'm getting better with different coins.Some I'm still sketchy on. I can tell a prroof Morgan from a business strike and other silver proofs are easier.Coppers are harder for me. I was 95% sure this wasn't a proof.That's why I put it up here. I'll see about some different pictures.Maybe show one of my 50's proofs that's pretty bad.

It'd go MS-64RD at best, and that's my bet on what it would get.

In identifying brilliant proof Lincolns, look for sharpness of the date. The 9 in the date is MUCH sharper and clearer on proof coins than MS coins, BUT a high grade MS coin can have a sharp date as well (MS-67 or so). Not necessarily true of early matte proofs

I don't think that it's a Proof. Proof coins from this area have very bright fields often to the point where the polishing takes away from the sharpness. The fields lookl like a business strike to me.

I have a 1942 Proof cent, but I don't have a picture of it handy. Maybe I'll get to post the picture this weekend.

Hey I got one of those.Except it's not proof. I've been trying to get better pictures but so far. Anyway,purples cool. This is in an old Green pci slab from around 1995.I think.

76475.jpg.299335696bef4e98c672a27b6aef0c74.jpg

76476.jpg.2deb558eb56894628dd1aba076f716ae.jpg

Boy that is a shinny candy apple red one isn't it? Looks like a nice grade also.

The color is off a little. The original picture had the white surrounding area showing more light green.I had to edit it to get the white closer to what the slab looks like.It also makes it more red rather than orange/red.

It's graded MS64 RB but my landlord and I agreed it's 65,no matter what anyone else says!!Ha!!.

Oh.By the way,I can't seem to locate my 42 Lincoln to take more pics.Looked high and low.No coin.Hope It didn't slip out of the flip.